It is important to make sure that unused and junk files are removed on a regular basis to run the system smoothly. This comprises of files in the temporary folder as they were necessary once but are now not being used. Temporary files collect in the system over time and can even occupy gigabytes of space. It is better to get rid of these files.
Understand what temporary files are and why there is need to delete them.
What is a Temporary file?
A temporary file or temp file is created to store information in it temporarily while a new file is being created. Once the program is closed, a temporary file should be deleted. Windows programs create a temporary file with .TMP extension. Although Windows temporary folder can also contain any file other than .tmp files.
Need of temporary files
Temporary files help in recovering lost data when programs halt, improper shutdown takes place or computer crashes. The temporary internet files function like “cache”. A bundle of temporary internet files (cache) is stored by the browser in systems.
A browser stores file because when the user will visit that website again, it will first check if the website’s files exist on the system or not before downloading it from the website. It will speed up the time to access websites.
See Also: Top free antivirus for windows PC
Why Delete Temporary files?
As mentioned above, temporary files are beneficial then what is the requirement to delete them?
The necessity to delete temporary files is because each website has hundred to thousand files individually. For example, if a website has many pictures, then all those pictures will be downloaded and stored on the system. Similarly, if a website consists of text, the text will be downloaded and save on to the system.
This will add an overhead on the hard disk. The hard disk space will quickly fill up and soon the user will be running out of memory. Therefore, it is important to delete temporary files on a timely basis to speed up the system and improve its performance.
How to delete temporary files on Windows XP/7/8/10?
Follow the steps below to delete temporary files:
- Close all the applications and programs running. Click on Start button. Type the command, %temp%, in the Search box and press Enter.
- This command will open the temporary files folder. Temporary folder will consist of those files which Windows does not require any more. It is safe to delete these files.
- Click on Organize button and choose Select All from the menu.
- To delete the content of the temporary folder, press Delete key. You can also click on Organize button on the toolbar menu followed by Delete option.
- A dialog box will open asking for confirmation to delete multiple items.
- Click on Yes to confirm.
- Once the files have been deleted, go to Recycle Bin and delete files from there also permanently.
The temporary files are deleted now. Clean the system regularly to avoid slowing down the system. Improve the performance of the system by deleting temporary files.
See Also: 10 Best PC Cleaner for slow PC
The process mentioned above is done manually. The tool can also be used for the same purpose to obtain accurate results. Advanced System Optimizer acts as a system cleaner to clean the hard drive and make Windows system run faster than ever. Advanced System Optimizer finds and removes the junk and temporary files safely which are no longer required.
Benefits of Advanced System Optimizer
- Recovers more disk space and saves from system crashes.
- Boost the performance of the system.
Try Advanced System Optimizer and get a neat and clean system. Download now!