It’s been 2 months since iPhone 7 has launched. Apple worshippers are still trying their hands on it and exploring numerous hacks. Consistent use will most certainly help you discover many of them. Yet there are some typical hacks which require a simple guide before you perform them. One of these is putting your iPhone 7 on DFU mode. Before we move any further, lets understand DFU mode a bit and why you need it.
What is DFU Mode?
DFU stands for Default Firmware Update. It’s a state on iPhone where it can interface with iTunes but doesn’t load iPhone operating system or boot loader. However, your phone never gets in DFU mode until you put it.
DFU mode is different than recovery mode. The former never load boot loader while in recovery mode, your boot loader is loaded.
Why you need DFU mode on your iPhone 7?
Primarily, it is needed to change the firmware of your iPhone. You can downgrade your iPhone’s firmware and operating system by putting it on DFU mode. Other than this, it is also required to use custom firmware, which is required for jailbreak or SIM unlock.
So if you decide to relegate your iPhone 7’s current version to a lower version, this guide is your way. You’ll have to put your iPhone 7 on DFU mode and get it done.
See Also: How to Fix a Frozen iPhone
How to put your iPhone 7 on DFU mode?
Before we jump to the guide let’s find DFU pre-requisites. You’ll have to keep your hand on-
- Power button.
- Volume down button of your iPhone 7.
- A timer to count until 10 seconds or you can also count it in your head.
You should now proceed to enter your device in DFU mode.
- Connect your iPhone 7 to your computer using a USB cable.
- Make sure iTunes is properly running on your device.
- Now you should turn off your iPhone 7.
- Press and hold down the volume down and power button
- Keep holding them until 10 seconds. If you see Apple logo on it, then your iPhone has entered into recovery mode and you’ll have to start the process again.
- Now you need to release power button but keep holding volume down button for about 5 seconds. If you see ‘Plug into iTunes’ message, then you have held it for too long and you’ll have to start over again. However, if the screen stays black, you have successfully entered in DFU mode on your iPhone 7.
A quick wrap up
You may proceed to enter your iPhone 7 in DFU mode but before you do that, make note of this warning.
When you enter into DFU mode, your computer will erase and reload every code of your iPhone that controls software and hardware on your device. This increases the risk of any wrongdoing on your iPhone. If your iPhone is damaged in any way, especially if it’s water-damaged, then DFU restoration is the hack for you. This may crack the issue and bring back your device to the previous state. However, there isn’t any certainty that DFU restore will always help you with the breaking down.