Multitasking on Chrome OS can be a one tortuous task. Each time you launch an app, it opens in a separate new tab of Chrome! Fortunately, there’s one easy way by which you can make apps in Chrome OS open in their own windows. In this way juggling between the multiple apps become a piece of cake.
The Chrome OS provides us an option named as “Open as Window” which can be used to make favorite websites open as their own windows. This is not just convenient, but it also makes Chrome look like a fully functional advanced Operating System.
Let’s have detailed look on how it works.
Open as Window
Here’s how you can do it!
- Click the Launcher button on the bottom-left corner and from the app grid, right-click on an app icon and select Pin to shelf.
- Once an app has been pinned to the shelf, right-click on its icon again.
- Now select “Open as window” option from the menu.
Now, when you launch the app, it will open in its own separate Window, that removes the browser controls of a standard Chrome window.
It’s still a Chrome window, but in an entire different look and feel.
Apply on Websites too!
You can apply these settings on websites too! All you need to do is follow these quick steps:
- The initial step stays the same, first you need to pin a site to the shelf. To do this, navigate to the site you’d like to use as its own window
- Next, click the triple-dot button in the top right of Chrome and choose More tools > Add to shelf.
- Give the site a name (it’ll be the text you see when you mouse over the icon), check the box for Open as window and click the Addbutton.
- Boom, this favorite site of yours gets a spot on the shelf and will open as its own window.
The Reverse Action
To unpin an app from the shelf:
- Right-click its icon in the shelf and select Unpin.
- To kick it back from its own window to the Chrome tab, click on “Open as window” in the right-click menu so that the checkmark disappears.
Drop us a comment if you need any further assistance. We’ll be glad to resolve your queries!