Android phones are loved by millions as they have innumerable apps and games that make us go crazy for them. One of the famous and most downloaded app is YouTube. YouTube allows us to share, upload and watch our favorite videos. It is an addiction for our generation.
What if you are enjoying Russel Peters’ videos and suddenly the YouTube app crashes on you, irritating right? It is very annoying when you don’t know how to fix YouTube app crashing on your Android.
Fortunately, we have a solution, here are a few tips to get your YouTube working on Android phone.
Before, getting to know the steps to fix it, let’s understand why it happens in the first place to avoid future hassle. There can be several reasons why your YouTube app crashed. The application is not up to date; your OS needs is pending for an update; you don’t have enough space on your phone, or your phone is choked up with cache.
Fix the Freezing & Crashing YouTube app
Here are a few ways to fix the YouTube app from crashing on your Android:
1. Restart and resolve:
As the title suggests, you need to restart the device and this step may resolve your issue if there were too many applications running in the background, clogging the space on the phone, however, if the issue persists, you need to try the other steps as well.
See Also: How to Unfreeze an Android Smartphone
2. Update YouTube to the latest version:
The application may crash if it is not up to date. You should make sure that you have the latest version of the app installed. Developers constantly work on improving the apps that’s why they provide update to enhance the app’s features. You can update the app by the these steps:
- Open Google Play.
- Click on Menu icon (three horizontal lines) and select My Apps & Games.
- Under My Apps, you will find all the apps listed.
- Apps that needs to be updated are shown first with the update tab in front of it.
- Please Update all the essential apps which helps to function your Android phone.
3. Check for sluggish Internet connection:
Slow connection can be one of the reason of crashing YouTube app. When you are using Wi-Fi connection at home and suddenly you need to step out for a quick errand, the internet connection will be switched from Wi-Fi to 3G, the device might not be able to adjust that frequent, it might result into crashing of the app. To avoid it, it is advised to close the app and restart whenever you switch internet connectivity. On the other hand, if you are using Wi-Fi and the app crashes, try these troubleshooting steps:
- Toggle Wi-Fi and Airplane Mode.
- Restart the device and router.
- Try to connect to another network.
If the app still crashes, please try the next step as well.
You May Also Like: 7 Myths About Android that You Should Get Rid of Now!
4. Clear Cache and Data:
Watching and uploading video, if this is your passion, you most definitely use YouTube many times in a day. Cleaning cache should be a basic hygiene to make the app run smoothly and it will not let the app crash. For cleaning cache, you need to follow the steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Tap on Apps. A list of app installed will appear.
- Find YouTube app and tap on it.
- Tap on clear Cache.
- Tap on FORCE STOP and launch the application again.
You cleared the cache and still the application crashes on you, then you can clear the data as well. However, clearing data may also remove the customized settings on the app. After this step, the app will be exact like the way it used to be when first installed on the phone.
5. Wipe Cache Partition:
Still not able to use YouTube, Wiping Cache Partition may be the option that could work for you. This step will remove all the temp files and it will free up the space on your android device. Here are steps you need to follow to stop the YouTube app from crashing.
- Power off the device.
- Press the combination of the keys whichever works for your phone to start the device in recovery mode.
- Use Volume button to navigate and Power button to select.
- In Recovery mode, select Wipe Cache Partition. Once it is done, please restart the device.
6. Clogged up space on your phone:
Insufficient space on the phone can also be a reason for your YouTube app crashing. To resolve the issue, you should uninstall the unwanted apps and remove files or videos which you may not want to keep. For uninstalling apps, you can follow these steps.
- Go to Settings
- Navigate to Apps
- Tap on Downloaded App
- Select the app, you want to uninstall.
7. Reinstall the App:
Still the app is misbehaving, try uninstalling and installing it to resolve the issue.
8. OS needs an update:
Older version of OS can also be a reason for crashing app. Please ensure that your device is running on the latest version of Android supported. The up to date version will not only enhance the performance of your Android but also stop the apps from misbehaving. You can update the OS by following these steps:
- Navigate Settings.
- Search for About Phone.
- Tap Software Update or System update.
9. Reset the device:
If nothing works, don’t worry, we have a good old trick to factory reset the phone to resolve all the underlying software issues along with crashing of YouTube. Resetting your device will remove all the personal data and applications, settings etc. To reset the device, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings
- Scroll to Backup and Reset
- Select Factory Data Reset
- Tap on Reset phone.
Note: Please take a backup for your important data before performing this step.
There are many things that can be done to avoid the crashing and freezing of YouTube app as well. Keep these things in mind
- Don’t use too many apps running along with the app as it would increase the background processes and slow down the speed of the phone.
- Regular cleaning of cache and data for the smooth functioning of the app.