We’re all aware of Siri right? Apple’s very own personal AI assistant. But unlike the iPhone version of Siri where you can just say “Hey Siri” to activate it, the process of launching Siri on your Mac is a bit different. However, with a few simple tweaks you can use this or any other phrase to launch Apple’s virtual assistant on mac as well.
Here’s how to get that done.
Step 1: Setting up Custom Keyboard Shortcut
For setting up a custom keyboard option all you need to do is:
- Open System Preferences > Siri.
- Here you’ll find the keyboard shortcut options.
- Click the Keyboard shortcut dropdown, and click on “Customize…” to set a custom shortcut.
- You can use any combination you like.
Also Read: 5 Amazing Functions of Siri for macOS Sierra
Step 2: Enable Enhanced Dictation
Next we need to enable Enhanced Dictation on your Mac. In System Preferences, head towards Keyboard > Dictation.
Check the “Use Enhanced Dictation” option, if you haven’t enabled this feature before, you will be prompted to download a large file, which basically contains an English Engine for recognizing various languages.
Step 3: Enable Dictation Commands
To enable the dictation commands, follow these steps:
- In System Preferences, head to Accessibility > Dictation, and check on “Enable the dictation keyword phrase “option.
- This is the best part! Here you get to choose your own keyword phrase. If you eventually want “Hey Siri” to launch the virtual assistant Otherwise use whatever phrase you like.
- Once you enable dictation commands, you’ll see a new icon in your menu bar.
- From here you can quickly access options for dictation commands.
Step 4: Siri Dictation Command
- Head on to Dictation section of Accessibility in the System Preferences, and click on the “Dictation Commands” button.
- A sub menu will appear, here you can add custom commands. Click on the “+” button at bottom-left, then use the word “Siri” in the “When I say” section. Leave “Any Application” as the “While Using” option. Finally, next to “Perform,” set the keyboard shortcut you set for launching Siri back in Step One of this tutorial.
- Close the System Preferences window, then try out your new launch phrase. Simply say your dictation keyword phrase followed by “Siri”. So, if your dictation keyword phrase is “Hey,” you can say “Hey Siri” and this will happen:
- As you can also see, Siri launched. You can speak to Siri as soon as the window opens.
Also Read: You Can Change How Siri Pronounces Words
Voila and it’s done!
NOTE: If you say “Hey Siri” out loud then it will activate on your iPhone as well as Mac. Hence choosing a different phrase proves out to be great help in such cases.
So here were a few simple ways to launch Siri on your Mac OS. So which one do you like the most? Drop us a comment and feel free to share your feedback!