Personal Storage Table (.pst) is an open proprietary file format, which is used to store copies of messages, calendar events, and other Microsoft tools such as Microsoft Exchange Client and Outlook. When your Microsoft Outlook Data File doesn’t open or you believe that the file is damaged, you can employ the Microsoft’s Inbox Repair Tool to diagnose and repair the errors in the data file.
The Inbox Repair tool works to check the Outlook data files on your computer if they are properly working or not. We’re going to enlist the steps for you to repair Outlook PST file:
- If Outlook is launched, exit out of it and browse to C:\Program Files (x86) or C:\Program Files.
Also Read: How to Fix Outlook Search Problem
- Type SCANPST.EXE in the Search box (or Ctrl + F).
- If you’re not able to find SCANPST.EXE in both the locations, navigate to the below folder location based on the version of Outlook on your computer.
- Outlook 2016: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
- Outlook 2013: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
- Outlook 2010: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
- Outlook 2007: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12
- Once found, open SCANPST.EXE with double click.
- Enter the name of the .pst file you want the tool to optimize in the Enter the name of the file you want to scan box. You may also choose Browse to select the file directly from the location.
- If you don’t want a log to be created, click on Options button and opt not to have a log created. Else, you can make the results appended to an existing log file.
- Click on Start to trigger the scan.
- If the tool finds out any error, click on Repair button to start the process to fix them. Here, Be notified that the tool creates a backup file during the repair process. To change the default name or location of this backup file, in the Enter name of backup file box, either enter a new name or click Browse to select the file you want to be used.
- Wait for the repair to complete and relaunch the Outlook with the profile associated with the Outlook Data File you’ve just repaired.
Also Read: How to Configure Yahoo Mail on Outlook?
Overall, you can say it was easy to repair Outlook PST file on your own as it doesn’t require any third-party tool to be downloaded. Once fixed, you may utterly start using the Microsoft Outlook on your machine. If the problem persists, you can call your system administrator or contact Microsoft.