Many of us feel that our career could reach its zenith only if we had a mentor. Well who knew LinkedIn can also cater to this specific need with its all new feature Career Advice. Microsoft owned LinkedIn after announcing the Resume Assistant feature for MS Word has now launched another feature that will help its users get in contact with other professionals in the same field to get a valuable career advice.
Using this feature, you can not only seek career related advice by someone but also offer to those who need it. However, you cannot opt for both as you will be selected either as an advice seeker or contributor.
As per LinkedIn, with more than 530 million professionals in the LinkedIn community, there is no other place where you can access such a wide range of knowledge, skills and resources to help you reach your goals.
How To Get Started:
This feature is currently available at only four places, USA, UK and India and Australia. It will gradually roll out for users of other countries as well.
- Sign into your LinkedIn profile and click on the Me icon at the top right of your profile page. Now click on View profile.
- In Your Dashboard, you will find a new option, Career Advice Hub. Click on it.
- In the new prompt that opens, click on Get started.
- Now enter your preferences i.e. from whom you wish to get advice. If you do not have any specific preferences, then checkmark the option “I don’t have a preference.” and click on Continue.
- The next step is to set the preference for advice regarding Job function and Industry sector. You can change these options by clicking on the drop-down icon. Once selected click on Continue.
- Let the others know what you need advice on. A brief description is enough for this, in case you are unable to frame a proper description then you can use the statement provided by LinkedIn by clicking on Start with this. Now click on Agree & finish.
- That’s all. Now LinkedIn will search out for the people who can give you the best advice. You can also change your preferences any time by clicking on Edit preferences.
based upon your preferences, you will get instant notifications whenever you receive an advice request or recommendation.
Must Read: Practical Tech Inspired by Star Trek
How To Receive An Advice
Since we have chosen the option of getting an advice, then as per your preferences you will be provided with a list of recommended professionals. To seek an advice from any one of them you have to start a conversation with them by sending them a message on LinkedIn. However, you must contact them within a week as they are only available for that duration.
Hope this feature helps all those LinkedIn users find the mentor that they have always seeked.