With Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence, there has been an introduction of many new programming languages to match up with the new technology. This has led to serious shortage of good and qualified developers who are also upskilled with the new programming languages. To write error-free code to avoid the hassle, developers need a good code editor up their sleeves.
A code editor helps a developer to be efficient and faster. Moreover, a code editing software helps you to avoid error and work as a professional. If you are a developer, you can understand, how significant it is to take care of a semicolon in a code. The code editors notify developer if there are any syntax errors and missing colons which helps to avoid failed program execution.
We have compiled a list of best code editors for Windows which will help you become efficient and grow as a developer.
Best Code Editors For Windows 10, 8, 7
Notepad ++ is a free source code editor and could prove to be of great help to developers. It is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which gives a smaller program size with higher execution speed. Let’s look at the features of Notepad++:
- It is a lightweight application. Though it is for Windows, it works on Linux, Unix, and Mac OS x as well.
- The app supports tabbed editing and enables you to add bookmarks so that you can use them some other time.
- When you write syntax of the language, it shows up in colored lines and if there is a mistake in the code, it quickly highlights it.
2. Sublime Text
One of the best code editors for Windows, Sublime Text is compact and powerful. Besides IDE-like features, it has Python Scripting with an ability to customize the editor. Let’s take a look at the features of Sublime Text:
- It offers a cross-platform support and has a friendly interface.
- It can detect syntax and highlight the error.
- It lets you select and edit multiple lines and has an option for instant file switching.
Atom is a text editor which works across various operating systems such as Windows, OSX, and Linux. The tool can be customized to work productively without even making changes in a config file. Let’s take a look at the features of Atom:
- It finds, previews, and replaces text as you type in a file or across all your projects.
- You can split the interface into multiple panes so that you can compare and edit code easily among the windows.
- It also has autocomplete feature which helps to write codes faster.
4. Visual Studio Code
Visual Studio Code is one of the best code editors for PC as it is the free and open source. It is a cross-platform software which works on Mac, Windows, and Linux. Let’s take a look at the features of Visual Studio Code:
- With Intellisense feature, you not only get autocomplete and syntax highlighting, but also smart completion based on variable types, function definitions and more.
- It has inbuilt commands for Git.
- It is customizable with extensions to install languages, debuggers, themes and more.
Yet another software which is powerful, fast and secure, UltraEdit is highly customizable and works great for highlighting codes. Let’s take a look at the features of UltraEdit:
- It loads and handle files with power and is easily configurable.
- The OS integration makes it easier to open any applications, utilities through command line
- The inbuilt hex edit mode and column editing mode helps you to edit your file data.
Araneae is one of the best code editors for Windows as it is simple and free text editor to edit codes and highlight syntax. Let’s look at the features of Araneae:
- You can add customizable quick clips and can get instant browser preview.
- You can simply drag and drop files and images to start the work.
Vim is one of the robust text editors integrated with a lot of tools. Let’s look at the features of Vim:
- It is persistent software and has an extensive plugin system.
- It supports many programming languages and file formats.
- It has an ability to replace and search codes easily and vastly.
jEdit is an excellent java based program so it works on Windows, Mac, Linux and more. It is highly customizable and configurable. Let’s take a look at the features of jEdit:
- It has inbuilt macro language, extensible plugin architecture.
- It provides syntax highlighting and auto indent for more than 200 languages.
- It supports a great number of character encodings such as Unicode, UTF8.
Brackets is an open source, lightweight, and powerful code editor for Windows. Let’s look at the features of Brackets:
- With inline editor feature, Brackets will show you all the CSS selectors with the ID in the inline window, to make it easier to work on code side by side easily.
- You can see the results of changes that you have made to CSS and HTML with the live preview feature.
- The software can help you to highlight and quick edit your LESS and SCSS files.
So, this is the list of best code editors for Windows which will make coding easier and efficient for developers whether they are experts or novice.