Have you faced this issue when you ask Siri to call a particular contact, it misunderstands your pronunciation and starts calling the wrong contact? It happens because there is a difference between how we pronounce and how we write names. The good thing is that iPhones have a solution to this problem. You can add phonetic first name, last name or a middle name. It helps Siri to understand how you pronounce it and Siri will also pronounce it in the same way. Here is how you can add phonetics to your contacts in which you face this issue.
- Go to contacts app on your iPhone and search for the contact you want to add a phonetic.
- Tap on Edit given on the top right you will see all the fields about the contact.
- Scroll down and tap on add field you will see the list of fields which you can add.
- From this list choose to Add “Phonetic first name, last name or middle name accordingly.
- You should add a phonetic which should be closer to the pronunciation of the name. Such as if you are entering it for Jason then it should be Jay-Sun. for Michael it should be My-Kal.
- Once you are done with these phonetics tap on Done.
That’s it, from now you will not face any trouble in recognizing your contacts by your voice even when using Siri. If you have Announce calls feature enabled on your iPhone, then by adding phonetics with names will make it easier for you to understand who’s calling you. If you have not turned this feature on and wondering how your iPhone can announce the name of callers for you then here is how it can be done. Head to Settings than scroll down to Phone and you will see an option to Turn on announce calls. After turning it on your iPhone will once announce the name of caller for before ringing.
Also Read: The Many Uses Of Home Button On iPhone
This is how now you can easily use your iPhone with voice commands entering phonetics are really useful for the names in other languages or when some letters are silent in some names.