There was a time when we consumed 1 GB data in a month but these days it lasts only for a short duration because of high speed Internet connection. Most of us are often left wondering about the high data consumption. Well! Majority of the websites these days are loaded with videos and heavy images. So, every time you open a website on your computer, it takes up a considerable amount of data. On some web browsers you can control this by editing some policies and settings in web browsers. In this article we will explain, how you can access and edit flags that are default internal settings on Google chrome to save data.
- To access flags, open new tab in chrome browser and go to following address.
2. This will open flags page. Now search for Autoplay policy. Here, click on drop down next to auto play policy. Choose “Document user activation required”.
3. Now, restart your browser and henceforth videos will not be automatically played if you open a website.
4. Next, press and look for Pause Background Tabs. In the dropdown in front of it choose Enabled. This will stop tabs from using data in background.
5. Type “Only Auto-Reload Visible Tabs” in the search box and select Enabled. This will stop loading pages that fail to load while the browser was offline will only be auto-reloaded if the tab is active.
6. Next search for “Fast tab/Window Close” and enable it. This will help you to close your open tabs quickly.
7. Improve page loading by enabling low priority iframes. This feature is used by web designers to insert content from other source or in other words we can refer to it as website within a website. Too many iframes within a website can slow down loading speed and can consume more data. It can be assumed that doing this will not load unnecessary ads and other non-required content. You can enable this feature by looking for Low-Priority iFrames on the same page and then enable it. You may not find it in some versions of Chrome.
This is how you can save considerable Internet data on Google Chrome. Please remember that you need to restart the browser after configuring these settings. At any point if you realize that you should change these settings because now you have a bigger data plan then you simply need to click on “Reset all to default” given at the top.