Facebook is the most prominent social networking platform. From time to time it creates security tools to control abuse. Last year Facebook implemented a photo matching tool in US to tackle indirect harassment and immoral posting of photographs.
With this we can say that it is the only company who has gone this far to help sufferers from being further tormented. This year, again Facebook has announced a new secrecy feature that will inform the user if someone uploads his photo on Facebook’s network.
This feature was announced last year in December, but recently company has started notifying users via News Feed about the feature. You may find this feature intrusive at first look but it has its own benefits. For example, individuals will be warned if someone uploaded, uses their picture, regardless being tagged or not. Also, if illegally your photo is used as a profile picture you will be informed. Not only this, the feature is helpful for visually impaired users as they will be able to identify people in photographs.
Scared! Worry not, Facebook doesn’t store images; it only keeps blueprint or faceprint of the face. Each human face is unique and facial recognition will help in decreasing unsanctioned picture uploads. At first, it may look like an adjustment with secrecy and comfort but this method is used to secure you from being a victim of cyberstalking.
Face recognition is nothing new for Facebook users as it has been used for tagging people for years. Therefore, people wouldn’t face problem in accepting the new feature. Furthermore, it’s an opt-in feature you disable Facebook face recognition, if you aren’t comfortable with it.
For those who are paranoid about their security this new feature may spark concerns. But we shouldn’t forget this feature will help to fight abuse that most of us unknowingly fall victim to.
However, by default Face recognition feature is disabled, news feed gives detailed information about it and how to disable it if enabled.
For your convenience please use the steps below to disable Face Recognition.
How to disable Facebook’s Face Recognition from App?
If you have enabled the feature to disable it please follow the steps below:
- Login to your Facebook account now go to settings by clicking on three lines at the top right corner.
- From her, go to Account Settings them tap on Face Recognition Settings.
- Now in the new window that opens tap “Do you want Facebook to be able to recognize you in photos and videos?” options. Choose ‘No‘ to disable the feature.
How to disable Facebook’s Face Recognition from Desktop?
To disable the setting from web version of Facebook follow the steps below:
- Visit Facebook and login to your account.
- Now click on the drop arrow to open the list with various options. From here select settings.
- In the new window that opens click on Face Recognition option in the left pane.
- You will now be able to see Face Recognition Settings. Click on Edit to disable it.
- In the new window that opens click on the arrow next to Yes and select No to disable the feature.
Once you do so the settings will be applied and Face Recognition feature will be disabled.
For some, this feature may be useful and for some it may be a step taken by Facebook to get individuals photo. The way you will look at it will vary from person to person, but if you use a social account sensibly and be watchful of your activities and modifications. You can safeguard yourself from being exploited. Anyone can be a perpetrator but it’s up to you how intelligently you handle things and take appropriate steps in timely manner.