The entire world has undergone numerous technological revolutions over the recent years. Although the list of influential technologies is quite long, but innovations in the field of Artificial Intelligence are peculiar as they have redefined convenience, security and enabled personalized interaction, be it for a customer or an employee.
In order to improve workplace environment, AI applied towards employee data can actually tell you what motivates employees or what makes them unhappy. AI application can even help identify the factors that makes employees leave their jobs. So, that timely correction measures could be taken for the betterment of the organizations. According to several predictions, by 2021, enterprises will be operating apps, having AI as their driving feature.
What it’s all about?
- Automation creates/destroys jobs – Automation and AI technologies can create jobs as well as destroys them. According to World Economic Report, 7.1 million jobs especially in white-collar are at ultimate threat. For example, LawGeex an AI review platform analyses legal contracts & it enables to read a contract that has never been seen before and compares it with similar contracts it saw the past. Also, around 2 million jobs related to computer science, architecture, math, engineering and architecture will gain a significant hike. Because people having skills of these smart technologies will be in great demand. Still there’s a net loss of about 5 million jobs.
- Threat to high-end & intellectual jobs – In collaboration with AI, Developers are building tools & apps that can diagnose illness, manage hedge funds and pilot fighter jets etc. that were previously limited to skilled humans.
- Creative jobs secured – Jobs requiring creativity will be the last to go. According to studies, 21% of U.S. jobs requires high degree of uniquely human skills- like creativity and that 86% of these workers like artists, writers, coders, architects, designers & IT professionals are at little or no risk of being terminated due to machines or robots.
- Fallouts due to Automation – As there will be major replacements of jobs by automation, fallen income inequality may widen. This will raise the pressure on governments to develop new social benefits programs based on health care & basic income for populations out of the workforce.
- Right for a company/or not – AI is just a means to an end. Therefore, companies should be prepared for an AI revolution. Low skill jobs & manufacturing tasks can be replaced with automation, whereas high skill jobs that requires emotional intelligence, creativity & problem solving could remain intact. By taking strategic decisions about what AI can help accomplish as well as what jobs will still be done by humans, you can prepare your workforce for a new automated future.
How Artificial Intelligence will improve the workplace for employers and employees?
Technology is changing the way we interact with the world, and no doubt these smart technologies will reshape the workplace environment. Since, the technologies will help to create new opportunities and markets tomorrow. And the best way to be prepared for the change is to understand what is driving it and which trends are the most distinguished with future scenario.
AI Helping With Hiring:
Artificial intelligence being the latest tech trend to emerge in human resource sector, it has huge potential to improve hiring process, decision-making, and matching best candidates for the right positions.
While many people think that association with Artificial Intelligence is certainly lead to job loss as some positions get automated, and eliminating the need for human workforce, the technology can actually help to identify suitable candidates. That’s becoming more important as companies are struggling to find talent.
- An Artificial Intelligence component, ‘Machine Learning’ helps draft better job descriptions. It can ensure that the language in a job description is comprehensive and easily understood by candidates.
- Artificial Intelligence gives a big hand in reviewing employee resumes. Usually, the recruiters take 10 to 20 seconds in reviewing each resume before getting to a decision. This fraction of seconds allows recruiters to do pattern matching on the basis of school, hobbies, gender or ethnicity. Though, these aspects aren’t as important as the candidate’s work experience & track records.
- AI looks after suggesting structured interview questions, that operationalize 21st century talent acquisition. And these questions are framed in a way to give an idea to interviewers & they can really get a sense of the candidate’s actual abilities. Also, they can get an idea of how well a candidate will do if hired.
Several big companies like Amazon have incorporated Artificial Intelligence in their hiring process to marvelous effects. But there are also plenty of startups that are finding new and creative ways to utilize AI and build their companies into brands.
Introducing New Job Opportunities:
For a trending and complex technology like Artificial Intelligence, there will be a requirement for highly-skilled technicians to develop and maintain a wide range of applications based on this technology. According to studies, demand for workers with AI skills has experienced steady growth over the past few years. With fewer people in the market who possess these skills, makes this a need of the hour for job seekers. This emerging technology requires fresh & unified specialization. As Artificial Intelligence will be growing on projected rates, organizations will most likely need a team of specialized app developers. Organizations looking for skills including Artificial Intelligence or Machine Learning includes data scientists, software engineers, software architects, and full-stack developers.
Introducing ML For More Convenience:
According to a researcher, currently only 26% of developers are using Artificial Intelligence or Machine Learning algorithms in their workstations, and around 81% of people are interested in learning more about them. Fusing Machine Learning Algorithms with smart computers will enable workers to accomplish their tasks in almost no time. For instance, AI systems are developed to perform data entries which takes long hours if done manually.
Even non-developers can benefit from this smart technology. For example, apparel companies could use smart algorithms to make outfit recommendations or even design clothes through software. These technique is already in use by several e-commerce platforms & they are doing tremendously well in the market. Customer service teams also use ML to answer basic questions on live chat or support ticket.
With combination of these smart technologies Chatbots are introduced in the market, which are basically virtual robots service that make a conversation just like a real person. Several companies are investing in chatbots, to improve user convenience & retain new customers.
Automation Reducing Injuries In Workstations:
Thousands of injuries could be eliminated by automating hazardous elements that are present in certain jobs. Based on studies across all industries, 5,190 people died from workplace injuries in 2016 (and many more suffered non-fatal injuries). This averages out to 100 people per week, which is quite a huge number and needs immediate technological intervention.
Even with 14% of industrial processes replaced by automation, the number of workplace injuries can be reduced by approximately 3,500 casualties by 2030.
Motor vehicle operation and construction:
Trailed distantly by ground maintenance, vehicle operation will certainly adopt automation in near future. Rather than thinking that Artificial Intelligence & other technologies will be replacing automation over humans, it might be more beneficial to think about how many dangerous jobs humans won’t need to do anymore. Protecting lives of people & indulging them into safer careers will be definitely a powerful use of automation.
Smart Algorithms Over Human Errors:
Human being is a bundle of mistakes. It’s not possible for humans to store enough data about past situations, actions, and outcomes, and evaluate the probability of each one occurring, in the time it takes us to make a choice. But with smart computers & AI technology databases with thousands or millions of situations, it can be maintained. It even simplifies decision making tasks, hence eliminating excess delay in several processes. Though this won’t help in making all types of decisions, because some situations require unique human considerations. But notably in the business world, it can certainly enable businesses to optimize their decision-making as logically as possible.
The future of Artificial Intelligence in workplace is one of an overwhelming dominance. Customer service may very well be handled by robots, or you can say with the help of chatbots, which is inevitable. At the same time white collar industry i.e., Law & Accountancy firms and professionals will see a restructuring of their fundamental business models.
While AI can never or should never replace the human elements, leveraging these amazing technological tools will really help the organizations to make accurate decisions. Though, we have a long way to go before we can explore all the aspects of these technologies, but this is just the beginning to what seems to be a truly futuristic society.