To be in the race Twitter keeps on adding new features and in this regard, a new timeline feature is said to be rolled out. This timeline feature will bring all tweets about a story under one banner, making it easier for users to see different viewpoints.
An average user faces difficulty in using Twitter as the interface is somewhat confusing for them. This is the reason why Twitter is unable to come in limelight. Therefore, to get things working Twitter has revealed a new feature that will be of help for all users.
Like the “While you were away” timeline feature that helps users see recap of posts while they were away. This new feature will show tweets in non-chronological order on your timeline. It will show recommended tweets at top of timeline instead of the newest ones, so that you don’t miss out on important updates from people you follow.
What this new feature comprises of? Good that you asked, to answer your question, you’ll need to read further.
The new feature offers an option “Show me the best tweets first” but now the question is what is it and how it works?
“Show me the best tweets first” will make the tweets you care about appear on the top of your timeline and it will be sorted in reverse chronological order. For this user will need to head to Timeline settings and enable it.
Once the feature is enabled, the tweets you like will be on top and the remaining ones will be displayed right below them, in reverse chronological order. After you refresh the app all new tweets will be displayed at the top.
To show all this Twitter will use its algorithm to evaluate the missed best tweets based on your usage, interest and you being mentioned in them. It will then group the tweets base in the same link and other criteria mentioned. To place all the related tweets under one head.
Say for example, if you are interested in blockchain, then you will see all the accounts related to cryptocurrency and tweets surrounding them like blockchain, bitcoin and others.
Is this feature available for all to use?
At present, this feature isn’t rolled out for all users. But soon in weeks to come all will be able to see it under Timeline settings.
Twitter will even show a pop up notification in the mobile Twitter app so that you are informed about when you can start using the feature.
The feature will be released for all platforms iOS, Android, and Web.
Things to remember:
- Users will no longer see the same link shared multiple times. All will be grouped under one head.
- Twitter is moving beyond chronological feed, like other social networks.
As the announcement for new feature was made a great deal of confusion began to float like: is it opt-in, opt-out, how to disable it and all. Here’s the clarification and steps to enable disable the feature.
Originally “Show me the best tweet first” feature was disabled by default, and user need to enable it. But recently it has been notice that the feature is opt-out, and you can disable it manually to revert to the old timeline.
Without further delay, let’s see how to find the feature and see if it is enabled.
If you use Twitter account on desktop you need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Log into your account on twitter.com
- Head to “Settings” then “Account” and next “Content.”
- Here, you will be able to see the new feature under “Timeline”
- If the box next to “Show me the best Tweets first.” Is checked it means it is enabled. To disable it you need to uncheck the box next to it.
Refer to the screenshot below to understand it better.
While using Twitter on iOS follow the steps below:
- Open the Twitter app and click on Me.
- Now, open settings by tapping on the gear icon.
- Next, choose the account for which you want to alter the settings.
- Head to ‘Timeline’ and tap ‘Timeline personalization’ here toggle on the button next to “Show me the best Tweets first.”
As said it is available for all platforms then how can we miss Android. Here are the steps to use the feature on Android.
- Tap on the three-horizontal line at the top left corner
- Now tap “Settings,” > “Timeline”
- Here toggle on the button next to “Show me the best Tweets first.”
You’re all done.
We hope this features makes things more simple for Twitter users. Moreover, users will now see the best tweets on top of the timeline beginning with the most recent first.
As opposed to Facebook, twitter’s timeline will not be classified by relevance. Tweets will be displayed occasionally and once they are seen by the user, all tweets will be displayed in reverse chronological order. You can say that the new timeline feature is an extension to “while you were away” feature introduced a year ago.
Undoubtedly, the new feature is great but users are looking for more like:
1. An edit button: It will help users to edit their tweets in case of typing mistakes. We all make mistakes and with this button things will be easier. Instead of the timeline feature if they would have given an edit button wouldn’t it be great.
However, users can still edit the tweet by tapping on edit to tweak your tweet and update. But everyone gets to know about it, that isn’t great.
2. Stay Unique: Already there are many sites that look alike so there’s no need for Twitter to copy any of them. It is the uniqueness that makes Twitter stand apart. For those who follow breaking news and always look for comments Twitter is great and it is great for sharing GIFs or learning new things.
We hope next in next update Twitter ads these two features and listens to what users want. For now, you can follow the instructions to enable or disable the feature.