Google Chromecast is a simple device that helps you connect your mobile device screen to your TV. With Google Chromecast device combined with Google Home application (on your mobile device), you can stream your favorite shows and movies online and watch them on your television. Thus, you will never need a cable television service when you have Google Chromecast device. You can also watch videos, view photos and play music that are stored in your Android or iOS device.
However, there are other more useful (productive) ways to make the most of a Google Chromecast device. In this article, we will tell you about the best Google Chromecast hacks that can uplift the device’s usefulness in your daily life.
Note: – All hacks are explained with an assumption that the Google Chromecast device is connected to your TV.
Top 8 Google Chromecast Tips and Tricks
With these simple Google Chromecast hacks and tricks, you will be able to use the device to its fullest. Let’s dig into the article.
1. Set News Headlines and Weather Reports As Your Background
When you are not watching videos on your TV, the Chromecast can be used to display important updates like weather reports or new headlines. To make it happen, follow these steps: –
- Open Google Home application on your mobile device.
- Select Menu icon that’s located at the top-left section of your mobile screen.
- Select the Devices option. ?
- Select Edit Backdrop option that’s located near the center of mobile screen.
- Ensure that all options on Edit Backdrop menu are disabled. Then, to view News headlines, select the virtual switch related with Edit Backdrop option to enable the feature. Preferably, you can select Play Newsstand option, and enable the virtual switch connected with this feature. Further, follow the on-screen instructions to modify your Google Newsstand preferences. To view weather information on your TV screen, select Weather menu and enable it.
- Tap on the < icon at the top-left corner of mobile screen. Save changes and then return to Google Home App’s Home screen.
On Android devices, you can directly showcase pictures on your television from the Photos or Gallery application. All you need is to select the Cast option to view photos on screen.
2. Set Up A Personalized Slideshow As Backdrop
You will certainly love using this Google Chromecast hack. As discussed above, the Backdrop can be utilized for displaying personalized slideshows when you are not watching your favorite videos. Here’s how you can do it: –
- Open Google Home app.
- Select Menu icon that’s located at the top-left section of the screen.
- Select Devices option.
- Select Edit Backdrop option.
- Ensure that all options on Edit Backdrop menu except the option related to photos are disabled. Now select and enable Google Photos option to showcase images that are stored via Google Photos. Enable Flickr option to view images saved inside your Flickr account. Choose ‘Google Arts & Culture’ to view artwork from different regions of the world. Select ‘Featured Photos’ to display curated pictures from the Internet that are sorted by Google. You can also view images of earth and space by selecting ‘Earth and Space’ option.
- You can also view your own photos by selecting the album you want to display. Note that albums must be saved online inside Flickr or Google Photos.
- You can regulate the speed of slideshow by choosing Custom Speed option and selecting different modes- Fast, Normal or Slow.
- At the end, select ‘<’ icon many times as required to reach the Welcome screen of the Home app. Now the chosen images are set as your personalized Chromecast Backdrop.
3. Play Files from Mac or PC to TV Screen
Chromecast provides you the option to play a file on computer and TV at the same time. All you need to check is whether your computer and Chromecast device share the same Wi-Fi hotspot for Internet connection.
Follow these steps to perform the task:
- Switch on your TV and Chromecast device.
- Open Chrome browser application on your PC or Mac.
- For a Windows user, in the browser’s address bar, type “file:///c:/” as prefix accompanied by path of file. For Mac users, enter “file://localhost/Users/yourusername” as prefix accompanied by path of file. Preferably, you can drag and drop files directly inside Chrome web browser.
- Once the file is showcased within your Chrome browser, select the menu icon located at top-right corner of screen (you will notice a three vertical dots). Select Cast option.
- Choose Play option. You will be able to view the video on your TV and computer screen simultaneously.
4. Stream Music Via Home Theater System Or TV’s Speakers
You can play unlimited music from Musixmatch, Google Play Music, TuneIn Radio, YouTube Music, iHeartRadio, Deezer, or Pandora account. Follow these steps to listen to your favorite songs via TV speakers: –
- Open Google Home app.
- Choose Browse icon (you will locate it at the end of screen).
- Choose the Music button.
- In Music menu, choose a streaming music service that is compatible. Download a suitable application by selecting ‘Get App’ option. If you already own a pre-existing music service account, download the app associated with it. Once you install the app, it will be displayed on top of your screen. You can also find optional music apps at the bottom of the screen.
- Open the downloaded app and sign up or login into your existing account.
- Choose the music you want to play.
- You can choose Cast icon once the music starts to play in your app. Thus, you will be able to hear the music via your home theatre or TV speakers.
5. Watch Video On Television But Listen Via Headphones
As you can watch content stored on mobile devices on TV screen, you can listen to audio content played on TV via your wireless headphones or inbuilt mobile speakers. Follow these steps to try out one of the best Google Chromecast tricks that you can perform at home: –
- Download and set up the LocalCast (free) for Google Chromecast app on your Android or iOS (iPhone/iPad) device.
- Open app, and select playable content, which is either saved in your Android or iOS device, or is available on the web and is accessible to the specific app.
- Once the chosen content starts playing, you can select the Cast option to view content from mobile device to your TV screen.
- Further, in Now Playing screen, select ‘Route Audio to Phone’ (you will see a phone icon). Hence, when the video starts playing, you will be able to listen the accompanying audio on your headphones connected to your mobile device or even on your inbuilt mobile device speakers.
6. View Google Slide Presentations On TV Screen
This is one of Google Chromecast hacks that can certainly benefit a lot of professionals. You can also play Microsoft PowerPoint presentations or Google slides on your TV via Google Chromecast. All you need is to launch the presentation on your mobile device via Google Slides app.
Note: – To view MS PowerPoint presentations, you need to import the file into Google Slides.
Here’s how to view slides on TV screen: –
- Ensure that your mobile device or computer and Google Chromecast device share the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open Google Slides on the computer or mobile device. Create a slide presentation. It is recommended to load a Google Slides presentation that you have already created. You can also import the slide from MS PowerPoint.
- Choose the Present icon to play the presentation.
- Further, select the Menu icon (three vertical dots), which is situated at top-right corner of Google Slides window. Select ‘Cast’ icon.
- Select between Present or Presenter in ‘Another Screen’ view.
- Adjust the presentation from computer or mobile device, when showcasing the slides on the TV screen.
7. Use Chromecast From a Hotel Room
This is one of the best Google Chromecast tips we have ever come across. You can carry your Google Chromecast device along with you when you travel. This way you will never end up with limited channel lineup in your hotel. Moreover, you will be able to save money you used to spend while using the pay-per-view service. All you need is the Google Chromecast device and a personal Wi-Fi hotspot. Ensure that you are carrying a Wi-Fi hotspot that can offer connection to multiple devices on the same network.
Also Read: Amazon Echo Vs Google Home
8. Control Google Chromecast Through Your Voice
You can also control your Chromecast device through your voice. To control the Google Chromecast device that generally is controlled via Google Home app, you will need to buy and install Google Home Smart Speaker.
Again, you need to ensure that Google Home speaker and Google Chromecast device share same Wi-Fi network. With the amazing Google smart speakers and TV placed in the same room, you can control your Google Chromecast through via verbal commands.
You can now watch videos and other content via Chromecast and give verbal commands to search content, pause, play, rewind or fast forward them.
These are some of the best Google Chromecast device tricks that you can apply to increase the device’s application. Use them and share your experience about the product in the comments section below.
Want to get latest buzz in your inbox, subscribe here.