Technology has been rapidly fabricating the digital world but nearly all advanced technology today requires storage. Storage issues are untangled with SDDs, but it cost significantly. Transmission of bigger files can be troublesome when it comes to sharing them over Internet. Compression of huge files can take some load off overfilled drives by reducing their size.
The primary purpose of compression is to allow transmission of files over a connection that has a limited bandwidth without manipulating with the quality of original stuff. Smaller the size of file, faster the transmission will be. A compression software is the one who does this job for you. Apart from compression, it can directly share your files with multiple recipients and perform encryption of files with passwords.
There is a glut of free file compression software in the market, the blog will let you settle with the best file compression software with the highest compression rates and number of supportable formats.
- WinZip– The eldest of all, WinZip has reached version 22 and still going strong. Winzip’ s standard version is priced at $35.94. You might wonder that out of a huge number of free alternatives, why one would like to spend for WinZip. This zip compressor software comes with several features such as integration with Microsoft Office for easy zipping.
WinZip’ s standard version provides splitting of files according to the media, cloud support and advanced file sharing options. It comes with highly responsive interface for different devices. Backup and security features are there to keep your files encrypted and secure.
The new version WinZip 22 comes with a bunch of exciting features such as Address book management for instant sharing, image format converter, Slack support and enhanced UI.
WinZip free download (21-day free trial available): http://www.winzip.com/win/en/downwz.html
- 7-Zip – It is the most reputed program which is available for free of cost. Apart from a wide support for almost every format, 7-zip comes with its own file compression format, 7z.
According to the developers, it can compress huge files up to 16 billion gigabytes and that along with high compression rates. The interface is very elementary, making it easy for users to opt-out of the options they don’t require. A Right-click will let user to extract, zip or view what’s inside the file.
The only drawback of this zip compressor software is its ‘solid compression’ process. The process is very much fortunate in achieving tiny file size but sacrifices with compression speeds. It can be very slow at times.
You can download your free file compression software, 7-Zip from here: https://www.7-zip.org/
- Hamster Zip Archiver – Its attractive and easy-to-use interface makes it the most convenient software to use. It comes with a drag and drop feature which makes it a handy task for even those who are not familiar with compression and decompression process.
The interface is very thoughtful which accounts for its easy and quick operation. It offers cloud support such as DropBox, OneDrive, Google Drive or Yandex disk with automatic creation of shareable link. This free file compressor software is a brilliant option for those who readily share files over the web.
The software is currently available in 40 languages and has been installed in more than 50 countries in the world which makes it a diverse software.
Download Hamster Zip Archiver: https://ziparchiver.hamstersoft.com/
- WinRAR- RAR archives are known for its incredible levels of compression. All the compression software can extract RAR archives but cannot create them. WinRAR is considered as the best file compression software which can do both.
WinRAR can be used to compress files in almost every format possible. It offers a wizard mode that handles all your hard work on its own. Though interface is not that appealing, but its full RAR supports stands apart. To get a feel of themes and speed of compression, you can use the 30-day trial version.
Download the latest version of WinRAR: https://winrar.en.softonic.com/download
- PeaZip- It might not be more popular than 7-zip but its clean interface and easy-to-use-file browser give it a plus one than 7-zip. It is an open-source software and available in a portable version which is totally a self-contained software for archive management requiring no extra installations.
For security additions, it uses AES 256-based encryption and two-factor authentication along with a password manager. It is a cross-platform software that can work with WinRAR to provide full RAR support.
Download PeaZip: http://www.peazip.org/
Every windows system comes with functionalities to offer compression and decompression of files, but they are extremely limited. In this digital era everything is paperless and sharing files over the internet has been vital process. With the limitation of bandwidth availability, compressed files make it easier to transmit files with limited resources requirement.