Updates are important for the system as they help fix security and performance issues in computers. Security vulnerabilities discovered in older versions are usually fixed in the latest version. But with the latest version new complication and troubles are also introduced. Same is the case with Microsoft’s latest Windows 10.
In this article we cover the 5 common inflexible settings that annoys the user and how to resolve them.
How to use a change a Microsoft Account to Local Account
Windows 10 is a cloud based operating system, therefore, during setup it asks user to enter Microsoft account. But you can change the account to a local one by following these steps:
- Open Settings by clicking on Windows icon.
- Next click on Accounts.
- In the new window that opens click on “Sign in with a local account instead” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
How to Stop Windows Update from automatic restarting system
By default, Windows 10 downloads and restarts system automatically to apply the updates. But if you like to take the control in your hands follow the steps below:
- Click on Windows icons, and open Settings.
- Now click on Update & Security option.
- In the new window that opens you will see various options.
- Click on Change active hours and tell Windows when you use the computer. This will help Windows to restart the system outside that time frame.
- Next, click on Restart options and specify a time when you want system to start automatically.
Furthermore, if you want to disable automatic restart completely Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise Editions follow the steps below:
- Type gpedit.msc in the search box.
- Right click on it and select Run as administrator
- Now go to the path Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update
- Now in the right pane select “No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations policy” and double click on it.
- Next, in the new window that opens Enable the settings and click on Apply.
- To bring the changes into effect restart the system.
How to disable Windows Update peer to peer updates
If you are running Windows 10 with all default settings, your computer shares Windows Update files with others on (LAN) and broadband-connected neighborhood. This is an intrusive behavior.
To disable this feature, follow the steps below:
- Click on the Windows icon and click on the gear icon to open Settings.
- Now select Update & Security and click Advanced Options.
- In the Advanced options pane, click Choose how updates are delivered.
- Here, you will see the options to limit peer updates to your local network, or to disable the functionality entirely.
How to prevent Windows from sending telemetry data to Microsoft.
Windows 10 by default collects computer usage data and sends it to Microsoft periodically. If you are paranoid about security and don’t wish to share the data follow the steps below:
- Click on Windows icon > gear icon to open Settings.
- Now click on Privacy, and select Feedback & diagnostics.
- Next set the data usage settings as you want them to be.
Basic: Low-level system statistics
Full: Includes memory snapshots and document fragments
To disable the settings permanently follow the steps below:
- Type regedit.exe in the search window, right click on it and select Run as administrator.
- Now, navigate to the path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection
- Here, in the left pane create a new value with the following properties:
Right click and select 32-bit DWORD
Name it: AllowTelemetry
This will help you disable telemetry in Windows 10.
How to Turn off Cortana
Everyone isn’t a fan of Cortana, if you are one of those then follow the steps below to disable it.
- Click on the Windows icon > gear icon to open Settings.
- Next, click on Privacy.
- Navigate to Speech, inking, & typing.
- Here click on Turn off speech services and typing suggestions.
- Next, remove Cortana from the Task bar. Right-click the Taskbar and select Cortana > Hidden.
This will help you remove all traces of Cortana.
Using the steps mentioned you will able to handle the rigid settings. No need to worry about them anymore. Every lock is made with a key similarly there is a way to change settings that look impossible to change. You can edit the settings that bother you, just need to dig a little dip. Hope this article helps you to alter the settings that you aren’t liking in Windows 10.
If you need help with any other settings do let us know. We will provide with step by step instructions to do the same. Looking forward to hearing from your soon. Your feedback is valuable and helps us to improve.