YouTube has always been our favorite destination for watching online videos and movies. Not many of us are aware about it but YouTube offers us a hidden dark mode feature that adds a cinematic feel to its UI—especially while watching videos late at night. When you’re staring at YouTube late at night and want to make things a little easier on your eyes, YouTube Dark is all you need.
Although it requires some fiddling with settings, it takes only take a few minutes.
Here are the quick steps to switch to YouTube Dark mode:
- First things first! Just make sure you’re using the most recent version of Chrome (version 57 or later).
- Launch Google Chrome, navigate to YouTube and log into your account.
- Now we need to open the Chrome’s Developer Tools panel. Windows users can open it by hitting Ctrl-Shift-I on Windows. Whereas Mac users can use the combination Option + Command + I
- On the panel that opens on the right side of your Chrome window, switch to the console tab.
- Copy and paste this in the developers window: document.cookie=”VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE=fPQ4jCL6EiE”
and tap Enter.
- Now close the Developer Tools panel and refresh YouTube.
- Click on your profile icon in the top right corner. As soon as the menu pops, you’ll see various options.
- Select the Dark Theme option and toggle switch to Activate Dark Mode.
As soon as you’ll switch to dark mode the UI will turn into a cinematic classic black theme.
However, currently this feature is only available for the website and not for app!
So, folks next time you’re staying up till three in the morning while watching GOT or House of Cards, why not add a dramatic feel to your account?