When running a program or installing Microsoft Office on Windows 10, if you are encountering Bad Image Error Status 0xc000012f, error. Here are workable fixes to resolve Bad Image Error on Windows 10.
Reasons for Bad Image Error 0xc000012f error
- The executable file of the software, you are trying to install is corrupt
- There’s a DLL mismatch especially in programs that use Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributables
- Misconfigured system files
- Corrupt registry keys
- Hard disk fragmentation
- Too many programs running during the system startup
|Workable Solution||Step-by-Step Process|
|Method 1: Uninstall Windows Update||If an 0xc000012f error started occurring after updating Windows, try uninstalling it … Detailed Steps|
|Method 2: Run System File Checker SFC command||Corrupt system files also cause Bad Image error, hence use the SFC command to check for file integrity and repair corrupt files–Detailed Steps|
|Method 3: Perform System Restore||Return Windows to a workable state where you were not encountering error 0xc000012f… Detailed Steps|
|Method 4: Perform a Clean Boot||To fix the Bad Image error try identifying the software that is creating the problem — Detailed Steps|
|Method 5: Reinstall the program||Reinstall the program using which you face Bad Image error on Windows 10– Detailed Steps|
Short on Time? Looking for an Automatic Way to optimize PC performance?
With that said, we suggest using Advanced System Optimizer. A software that helps repair most common system errors and protects the PC from malware. Moreover, using this professional cleanup tool, you can repair invalid registry entries, optimize disk, recover deleted files, uninstall programs without leaving leftovers, and a lot more.
1. Download, install and run Advanced System Optimizer
2. Select Deep Scan and click Start Smart PC Care
3. Wait for the scan to complete
4. Next click Optimize Now to fix all errors
This way in no time you can get rid of junk files, fix invalid registry entries, update drivers and do a lot more. Once this is done, restart the system and check if the Bad Image problem is solved or not.
However, if you want to manually fix the 0xc000012f bug, you can try the different methods explained below:
5 Best Ways to Fix Windows Bad Image Error – 2021
To fix the 0xc000012f error code, start following the steps explained below one by one.
Method 1: Uninstall Windows Update
A buggy or corrupt Windows update can also lead to a Bad Image error on Windows 10. So, if you are facing a 0xc000012f error on Windows 10 after installing the Windows update, we suggest uninstalling it. To learn how to do that, follow these steps:
1. In the Windows search bar type Add or remove programs
2. Open it > click Program and Features option
3. Here in the left pane click View installed updates
4. This will open a new window here, look for the latest Windows update you installed after which the Bad Image error started occurring. Select it > Uninstall
5. Afterward, restart the system and see if this helps fix Windows Bad image 0xc00007b error.
Method 2: Run System File Checker SFC command
Faulty or damaged system files can also lead to Bad Image error on Windows 10. Hence, to check if everything is ok we suggest checking for file integrity. For this, we will run a System File Checker. To do learn how to do that, follow the steps below:
1. In Windows search, type command prompt
2. Select the search result > Run as administrator
3. Now in elevated Command Prompt enter the following commands one by one and hit enter after each command
Sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\windows
4. This will run the System File Checker and repair corrupt files
5. Reboot the system, this should help fix the problem
Note: If there is any file that System File Checker is unable to repair, then you will get the message as:
To know about this file you will need to analyze the CBS.log file.
Once, that is done, you will need to run the DISM command and restore the system files. After running DISM, make sure you run the System File Checker again.
To run DISM, run the following commands:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Restart the computer, you should no longer face the problem.
Method 3: Perform System Restore
By default, System Restore is disabled on Windows 10 however, if you have enabled it, you are lucky. You can rollback the changes via System Restore.
To learn in detail about System Restore and how to run it, read our previous post.
1. Press Windows + R
2. Type rstrui.exe > Enter
3. Select the System Restore point of the date when the system was working just fine and rollback
Hope this helps fix the 0xc000012f error on Windows 10.
Method 4: Perform a Clean Boot
If you are still encountering the Bad Image error code 0xc000012f, we suggest performing a Clean Boot. This will help identify the third party software that is causing the problem. To do so, we will have to disable software that runs during system startup. To learn more about it, follow the steps below:
1. Press Ctrl+ Shift+Esc
2. Click the Service tab
3. Check the box next to Hide all Microsoft services > Disable all
4. Next click the Startup tab > Open Task Manager
5. Right-click each entry one by one > Disable
6. Exit Task Manager
7. Save change > restart the system
8. Disabling unwanted apps from the startup will help fix the Bad Image error.
Method 5: Reinstall the program
If none of the steps worked for you, try uninstalling and reinstalling the program using which you are facing the problem. This has worked for most users and we hope it works for you too and Bad Image error is gone forever. Before following the steps ensure you have the setup file handy.
1. Press Windows + R
2. Type appwiz.cpl > Ok
3. Look for the program that is throwing Bad Image error, select it > Uninstall
4. Wait for the operation to finish
5. Now use the setup file to reinstall the product. Alternatively, you can visit the product’s official website for the latest setup file.
We hope using the steps explained above, you can fix Windows Bad image 0xc00007b and 0xc000012f. In case you have any questions or doubts, feel free to ask by leaving them in the comments section. Also, let us know which method worked best for you.
FAQ: Information about 0xc000012f Windows errors
How do I fix error 0xc000012f?
There is no known cause of the 0xc000012f error, therefore depending on the reason, you can follow the steps explained in the article. Also, we suggest you install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable as in most cases it has helped fix Bad Image. Also, you can run Disk Optimizer offered by Advanced System Optimizer to defrag the disk.
Why do I keep getting Bad image errors?
When some crucial system files are missing or get corrupt, you get a Bad Image error. This can be fixed by reinstalling the software or running System File Checker.
How do I fix a Bad image?
To fix the Bad Image error, we suggest applying the following workouts:
- Reinstall the problematic software
- Perform System Restore
- Rollback Windows Update
- Do a Clean Boot
- Run System File Checker
What does a Bad image mean on Windows 10?
Bad Image 0xc000012f error means some of the system files are corrupt and there are interfering with the system process. To resolve this, running the SFC /scannow command is recommended.