With the Work from Home culture gathering momentum across the globe, the online collaboration software has also gained popularity subsequently. These applications help build the office environment even when people are working remotely away from the office premise. While it was thought that this method of work would be a comprise of the traditional model of work, it has been observed that the Online Collaboration tools have on the contrary increased efficiency and productivity. If you haven’t already started using such tools, then this guide will help you to find out the best online collaboration tool for your business and colleagues.
Some of the important features that you will require in an online collaboration tool are:
- This application must be available on multi-platform like computer and cell phones.
- The software must allow people to contact their team members as well as other inter-department colleagues.
- It should contain Deadline notifications, task management, and other features like easy to use and tutorials to understand better.
- The program used must support private and group chats at the same time. Also, the data shared between the team members must be across a secured safe channel.
- Cloud-based systems are more preferred which helps to see all the recent activities and edits. This information is accessible by any team member anywhere based on the permissions granted.
List of Contents
List of 10 Best Online Collaboration Software In 2021
1. Microsoft 365
Microsoft Office might sound like an office tool with word processors, spreadsheets, presentation maker, etc. But with Microsoft 365, the office tools have turned into online collaboration tools, and that too as one of the best in the market. Now, you can write reports or calculate in spreadsheets online that are accessible to a group of people who can view and edit on a real-time basis. This allows a team to collaborate on the same set of documents anytime. Other features include:
- Familiar and Easy to Use.
- Microsoft Teams app is now bundled with Microsoft 365 package which allows Unified Communications.
- This cloud-hosted app is supported across a multi-form platform like Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS.
- This online collaboration tool is not free and can be availed starting from $6.99 per month.
When you talk about free collaboration tools, Slack is one app that always makes it to this list without any doubt. Although the free version offered has certain limitations but most of the features offered are deemed as just appropriate. This app is available on both mobile and desktop devices and is used by millions of users because of its smart platform. Some of the many features are:
- Users can send Direct Messages (DM) and attach files to one recipient or many.
- Users can also perform video calling on secure lines and share files with just the drag and drop feature.
- Easy to Use and Intuitive interface.
- You can integrate many other cloud storage services like Google, Dropbox, etc.
Another app to make it to the list of online collaboration tools is Asana that has been making its name since 2008. It boasts of Uber, Intel, Pinterest, and TED as its premium customers that work as an advertisement factor pulling many customers from the other online collaboration software in the market. This software helps companies to stay super-organized and even make short conversations among teams on the progress of work.
- Helps organizations track the individual work of their employees
- Allows managers to create to-do lists and set reminders for the same.
- You can assign tasks, make comments, send requests to your colleagues from within the app.
- Users can also display all the projects in a list format that makes it easy to search your work among the list.
One of the finest free online collaboration tools ever designed is Trello that can be operated as a web app on your PC and as a mobile app on your smartphone. Trello allows managers to assign comments to team members and thus provide quick and instant feedback while the work is in progress.
- Very easy to use and organize projects.
- The app allows users to design separate boards for different tasks that can be only accessed by one particular team.
- Once the project is assigned to a team, a to-do list is handed to each member of the team with tasks allotted to them.
- Trello allows app integration with famous third-party apps like Github, Google Drive, Slack, and Evernote.
- The premium version is close to $10 monthly and has many extra features. However, the free version is quite sufficient and capable to handle small tasks and projects.
Another one to make the list of free online collaboration tools is Rocket.Chat is an open-source team collaboration program. This app contains the On-Premise feature and can be easily set on Cloud Servers. The app is free to use with all basic functions but does not have any support like email or phone. However, you do have access to a lot of software documents that contain all answers. Some other features include:
- An unlimited number of users.
- Team members can use messages, channels, video calls, and share files.
- It requires users to use their server which means your data is always secured.
- Open source code along with customizable
- Message can be translated inline
Note: Rocket.Chat also has cloud-based plans charged at $2 monthly and provides email support for subscription users.
If you are looking for an interesting online collaboration software then Canva is the one for you. There are many options to explore that could take a lot of time to complete. This tool is browser-based and is one of the most popular creativity tools available that allows you to create infographics, flyers, eBooks, and even social media posts. Other features are:
- Canva is easy to use and self-explanatory that can be used by anyone without artistic skills.
- This app contains a large collection of graphic elements and Stock images.
- It is free to use as a basic version and offers certain features at $11.99/month.
When it comes to managing your social media then the best online collaboration software for this purpose is Hootsuite that can help schedule your social media posts for you. This application allows the user to connect all the social media accounts of your business under one interface and schedule posts ahead of time. This feature is very important for those who have adopted social media as the source of growth and customers via online communities. Other features include:
- Easy to use.
- Manage all your social media platforms from one place with the no-fuss interface.
- Bulk schedule any number of Social Media posts for the future.
- Real-time analytic report
- Cost start from $19/month which allows 10 social media profiles.
A list of online collaboration software is never complete without Podio. This app is the most customizable and flexible medium that helps members of a team establish communication and work together. Team Leaders across the globe use this software as it allows them to manage large loads of work and distribute them to their team members and manage individual work progress.
- Allows users to share work and files between team members.
- Displays status of ongoing projects.
- It has several mobile apps that can be used to handle the entire project through your smartphone.
- Easy to use and allows users to Send feedback.
- Integration with third-party apps like Zendesk, Google Drive, Dropbox, and Evernote.
Although, many consider Ryver similar to Slack in many aspects there are some unique features about this online collaboration tool. It provides the ultimate control to the person with administrative and management power to control the rights of every team member. This means a team member will only be able to view those aspects that he/she is working on.
- It offers a complete means of communication between the team members.
- This app allows you to create multiple teams and categorize them.
- Users can create chatboxes with individuals and groups.
- The important notices and posts sent out by the organization can be viewed as seen in Facebook Newsfeed.
- The Premium version offers workflow automation and advanced team management.
Flock is a free online collaboration tool that may not have escaped your ears as it is very popular for handling teams across the globe. This app allows users to use different channels for individual and group conversations. The messages sent along with files shared can be stored and search later on. Flock allows its users to make audio and video calls and share the screen with team members. It contains productivity tools such as reminders, note sharing, and polls along with the ability to assign tasks to other members of the team. Other features are:
- Integrations with third-party software like Google Drive, Twitter, etc.
- The free version offers 5 GB storage limit with 5 other app integrations.
- The Pro Plan and the Enterprise Plan has more to offer.
The Final Word On 10 Best Online Collaboration Software In 2021
This concludes the list of the Best Online Collaboration Software available for you to carry out your work from remote places. These apps can be used by any organization under any circumstances. The best advantage of using such apps is that it eliminates all informal and manual tasks of reporting, feedback, and pursuing the progress of the project. With automation, every task and activity becomes visible and is recorded for future reference. Do let us know which Online Collaboration tool you think is the best and why.
Follow us on social media – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube. For any queries or suggestions, please let us know in the comments section below. We would love to get back to you with a solution. We regularly post tips and tricks, along with answers to common issues related to technology.