With technology excelling at its best, all sectors of health aspects are being covered. It was long when the blind and visually impaired were gifted with cell phones for blind. However, now smartphones come with a lot of features and accessibility which, in turn, help them stay independent.. That’s why it has become easier for people with disability to work along cellphones.The people with vision loss or a diminished vision are also benefited from the cell phones for blind and visually impaired.
Are There CellPhone For The Blind?
Yes, there are several cell phones for blind people as well as the visually impaired. Every person with disabilitiesmust use one of the devices to be independent, and these will help them. The variety of cell phones which are available in the market have proven to be aiding the needful.
How Does a Blind Person Use A Phone?
A blind or visually impaired person can use a cell phone with ease with the screen reading technique. One gets all the voice-enabled commands in a cell phone, and it will perform as such. One has to keep in mind that voice over and talkback functions must work properly. For those who are visually impaired, such as old people the list of cell phones below could also help them.
10 Best Cell Phones for Blind And Visually Impaired
Let’s discuss the best of the cell phones for blind and visually impaired:
1. Jitterbug Flip
Jitterbug flip phone is a cell phone which keeps it easy for the Blind and visually impaired to stay connected. The phone is as the name says flip phone and keeps its usefulness to the max with a keypad. The seniors or the visually impaired can rely on the use of this phone with flexibility. The phone is durable and easy to communicate with keypads for the dial. Other main features include voice dial, speaker, magnifier with a flashlight.
Features Of Jitterbug Flip:
- It is easier for a visually impaired person to dial as it has a large font.
- Comes with Voice Dial, which makes it easy for blind to talk on call.
- Also has a speaker which enables to talk handsfree
- Jitterbug Flip phone allows you to talk clearly.
2. Lucia Cell Phone :
This cell phone for blind or visually impaired or hard of hearing people is the easiest to use. It has a keyboard with large tactile buttons cell phone for the visually impaired. Accessible buttons are all in different shapes so that they are easy to locate.
Features Of Lucia CellPhone:
- Comes with long battery life and is high-quality Swiss made.
- Has a voice guide, which gives you the independence to use the cell phone.
- Comes with a large display and large characters which makes calling and texting easy.
- Has an emergency SOS button, along with customizable SOS dialling.
- Supports multiple languages such as English, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch
Also Read: How Technology helps the hearing impaired.
3. Google Pixel:
Google Pixel is the best cell phone for blind people with its great talk back features. The latest smartphones in this series are Google Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 plus. This can be very useful for the visually impaired as the best Android phone. They will receive the update prior to any other device, and this will keep you up to date with the ever added features.
Features Of Google Pixel:
- Talkback feature and the voice commands make it easy to use for all
- The gestures are most easy to understand and implement as they can be taught to the blind and visually impaired.
- Customisation of the gestures is available, which allows you to give a personal touch to your phone.
- With the new Google Assistant and motion sensors, it has become easier for people with a vision disability to use the smartphone.
iPhone is another great phone which comes with great accessibility features for the differently-abled. With the iPhone you can always keep up with the latest tech and use the advanced features. All the cell phones for blind have voice-enabled features and so does the iPhone. It supports a number of languages for voice over which makes it widely popular. The gestures are handy and the voice over will read everything occurring on the phone screen.
Features Of iPhone:
- Gestures and voiceover make it easy-to-use.
- Announces calls, tell about battery life and the app you tap on.
- The voiceover works with all in-built apps and a number of third-party apps.
- Allows you to change the text typing and speed accuracy for the texting on the voiceover settings.
5. BlindShell Classic:
BlindShell is a classic cell phone for blind as it is a simple device. The phone uses voice-enabled commands to make calls without having to use a keypad. It seems like any other cell phone, just that you can do so much more. The important features with voice are to make calls, send texts, open applications, find GPS, track your address, or know about your location, learn about weather. Dictate your voice notes to be added on your phone.
Features Of BlindShell:
- Comes with the SOS Emergency button which can help in the hour of need.
- Includes Internet Radio, book reader, audio player, color recognition, and audio player to keep you entertained.
- With Object tagging, you can label the objects around you to be recognized by phone later.
- Allows you to dictate your voice notes and add them on your phone.
6. BlindShell 2 Borque
BlindShell 2 Borque is one of the best touch screen cell phones for visually impaired and blind. As the features offered by the cell phone are very helpful and come around as easy to use for a handicap person. Apart from the basic functions of making calls and sending texts, it offers usage of internet messaging apps. The simplest gestures will provide you with the basic functions for the cell phones for visually impaired. Such as one tap will open the Main menu, Long press with two fingers to go back and long press to confirm. It, however, includes the similar features from the BlindShell Classic phone for all the voice-enabled commands.
Features Of BlindShell 2 Borque:
- Allows you to use WhatsApp Messenger, Facebook Messenger to text and make calls.
- Use voice dictation to type texts on your smartphone and to call contacts.
- Unlike the BlindShell Classic phone, it has a camera, gallery, games and song recognition.
- Also comes with Magnifier, illumination sensor, book sharing, etc. which makes it a great cell phone for blind people.
7. Ray L5 Flip:
Ray L5 is one of the smartest cell phones for blind and visually impaired. It is a flip phone with a touch display screen and keypad with Android as the operating system. The large button cell phones for the visually impaired with a large display. The phone can be accessed with easy four buttons on the keypad. The mobile phone comes equipped with a dedicated app called Ray Vision App for better use of digital connectivity. With the flip phone closed, the top screen acts like a touch screen and works via gestures.
Dial by name for your contacts on your phone to make calls with voice. Color and currency identifier are another of the beneficial features to be used by the blind.
Features Of Ray L5:
- Tag/ Sticker Identifier will help you recognize the objects around you.
- Comes with Use the What Around me feature, which helps learn about the places near you and can also be used for navigation.
- Remote assistance is provided by the tech support at your help at all times.
- Comes with a scheduler to record messages and check the schedule for the upcoming days.
8. Ray S7:
Ray S7 is another of the cell phones for visually impaired from Ray. This is a touch screen cell phone with more features than the flip phone. It works on the simple gestures which can be used by people on their own. It is built on a Samsung J7 which has an extra set of buttons on the back of the phone.
Features Of Ray S7:
- Socializing is made easy with the voice-enabled apps on these cell phones.
- Can enjoy the audiobooks, music, internet radio and the podcast server to keep you entertained.
- Allows you to read texts using the Text to speech and send texts using speech dictation with the Android functions available on a keyboard.
- The external memory of 16 GB and a fast processor are the add-ons for these cell phones.
9. KAPSYS SmartVision 2
KAPSYS SmartVision 2 is also considered to be a good cell phone for the blind. The phone has the feature to speak the menu to aid the visually impaired people. The large display screen is good to see what’s on it clearly. For navigation, you can use the buttons, touch screen or the voice commands.
Features Of KAPSYS SmartVision 2:
- There are 9 contrast modes which will work on a 7X magnifier for a better view to those who are visually impaired.
- Equipped with NFC for ease of sharing contacts, files or payments.
- In-built remote assistance to connect with friends and support.
- Comes with the braille display support cell phone to type in braille to send a text or use Skype.
Also Read: Top 10 Best Budget Smartphones Under 200 USD
Logic is an affordable cell phone for the visually impaired with a simple. It has an emergency button at the back and contacts others in need without wasting time.
Features Of Logic:
- Comes as the large button cell phone for visually impaired.
- You get FM radio, sound recorder, calculator, flashlight, camera and voice alarm.
- SOS Emergency Button for Elderly and Kids.
- Supports English, Portuguese, and Spanish.
Which Cell Phone Is Best For Visually Impaired?
While we believe the access to the main needs is most important for a person with vision issues, the Jitterbug Flip phone is the best. For the latest tech and features, we would recommend going with Ray S7 or BlindShell 2 Borque.
We Love To Hear From You
We would like to know your views on this post about Cell phones for blind and visually impaired. Communication is a need, and why not benefit from it by providing the ones in need. Please share the article with others to let them know these tips.
Follow us on social media – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube. For any queries or suggestions, please let us know in the comments section below. We would love to get back to you with a solution. We post regularly on the tips and tricks along with solutions to common issues related to technology. Subscribe to our newsletter to get regular updates on the tech world.