Cache memory aka CPU memory is random access memory that your computer microprocessor can access quickly instead of regular RAM. The main motive to use cache memory is to keep program instructions which are generally used by a software during operation. This process enhances the speed of the software program altogether. The cache memory in our system contains a lot of information about us. Moreover, in the process of storing data, it uses a notable amount of RAM as well, which could result in slow computing. It is advised to clear memory cache on a regular basis.
So, here in this post, we have listed some simple ways to clear cache memory in Windows 7, 8 and 10.
Delete Cache Memory in Windows
You can delete cache memory in Windows with the help of Windows interface without any hassle. Follow the below mentioned steps to clear memory cache on Windows:
- Right-click anywhere on the desktop screen and you will get a context menu.
- Now, choose the “New” option. Then, from the sub context menu choose to create a new shortcut.
- Now you will get on-screen instructions to create a shortcut. At first, it will ask you to select the location of the item for which you want a shortcut to be created on the desktop.
- Copy this location “%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll, ProcessIdleTasks” and paste it in the box.
- Click the Next button and you will be asked to provide a name for the shortcut.
- Once it is done, you can double-click on the shortcut to open it. You will not see any changes evidently but cache will be removed.
One of the most beneficial things about the shortcut is that whenever you want to clear memory cache, you can simply launch the shortcut.
Note: This process can delete cache memory but it can be recovered as well. However, you can permanently get rid of the cache memory with third-party app. We have discussed that as well in this post.
You can also manage to remove cache files by running Disk Cleanup. To do that follow these steps.
- Go to search box near Start button and type Cleanmgr to open Disk Cleanup tool.
Note: You can also open Disk Cleanup tool by opening the Run window by pressing Windows and R and then typing “cleanmgr”
- The interface of Disk Cleanup will open and it will ask you to select the drive that you want to choose to clean.
- Then it will calculate the accumulated space and show you another dialog box wherein, you need to put a checkmark beside the files that you want to delete.
- Once done selecting the files, click OK.
- It will give you a prompt, “Are you sure you want to permanently delete these files?”
- Click “Delete Files” to proceed and it is done.
We can also use an app to get rid of cache memory as well. One of the best software available to do it is Advanced System Optimizer. It is one of the most efficient cleanup tools for Windows no matter what version you are using whether it is Windows 10, 8 or 7 or even XP. It is an all in one tool, which not only acts as a system cleaner but also protects the system from foreign elements such as spyware, trojans and there is more to it.
Let’s take a look at the features of Advanced System Optimizer:
- It cleans the disk space to provide better system performance and fewer system crashes.
- If you are game freak, you will love the software as it enables you to play your favorite video games uninterrupted. You can switch between gaming mode and computer mode with a single click.
- It looks out for all the malware and secures all your sensitive data.
- The driver updater helps you to keep your system drivers updated which gives you faster computer.
- It helps you to organize your disk space with disk optimization which will result in getting a quick response when opening a file.
Must Read : How to Backup & Restore App Data In Windows 8?
So, these are the ways, in which you can get rid of system cache memory on Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 7. Try them out and let’s know if you feel the difference.