Since several users are facing no sound issues after upgrading their PC/Laptop to the latest version, we’ve tried to list all the possible solutions to help you get audio back.
Firstly, Check There’s No Problem With The External Speakers
Whenever a peripheral device isn’t working correctly, the very first thing you should do is verify there’s no problem with the device itself. To check whether Speakers have an issue, simply connect them with any other laptop or PC & play it. If the speakers are playing properly, then you can go ahead trying different solutions. If not, you might need to replace your Windows Speakers with new ones!
So, What’s The Issue? Why Aren’t My Speakers Not Working On Windows 10?
Well, there could be an issue with the sound settings, potentially a Windows upgrade bug, problems in connections or maybe outdated/damaged/missing audio drivers are causing the external speakers not responding on Windows 10 laptop or PC.
Whatever be the issues, our list of troubleshooting methods will hopefully help you in getting rid of the sound issues in no time.
How Do I Get My External Speakers To Work On Windows 10?
Using a PC or Laptop without sound is an odd experience. You don’t get to hear all the sounds, including the prompts on your computer when “External Speakers Are Not Responding Properly”!
|Troubleshooting Audio Issues On Windows 10||Workable Solutions To Get Back Sound On Windows 10 PC Or Laptop|
|Workaround 1- Set Speakers As Default||Windows speakers won’t function properly if they are not set as the default output of sound. Learn how to set them as default?|
|Workaround 2 – Update Audio Drivers (Recommended)||Outdated drivers are also responsible for having audio & other hardware related issues. So, ensure you are using updated drivers and if they are not, learn how to update Audio Drivers On Windows?|
|Workaround 3- Check Sound Settings||Ensure all the audio settings are set properly & no important option is enabled or disabled by any chance.|
|Workaround 4- Run The Audio Troubleshooter||Running the built-in troubleshooter can also help in fix common sound issues on Windows 10 PC or Laptop. Learn how to run the troubleshooter & fix “External Speakers Not Working’?|
|Workaround 5- Change Audio Devices||In case the USB audio device is connected to an external HDMI monitor that has no speakers then you might witness no audio issues. Let’s see how we can fix it?|
Workaround 1- Set Speakers As Default
Follow the instructions carefully to set your external speaker as default output of sound:
- Right-click on the speaker icon > hit the Playback devices option.
- Navigate to the Speakers & click Set Default button.
- If you are unable to see your connected external speakers on this list, then probably they may be disabled.
- In such case, simply right-click on Show disabled devices from the context menu.
- Now right-click on the speakers & choose the Enable option.
Hopefully, this should help you get your system’s lost sound back. If not, go ahead updating your missing or outdated audio drivers!
Workaround 2 – Update Audio Drivers (Recommended)
Since updating drivers manually is cumbersome for a lot of users. We are listing the automatic way to update drivers using Smart Driver Care. It’s a dedicated utility to find & replace most compatible drivers for all your PC’s & Laptop’s drivers.
- Install Smart Driver Care.
- Launch the driver updater utility & click on the Start Scan button.
- It would take a few moments for this driver updater software to scan the entire PC or Laptop and list down all the missing/outdated/damaged & faulty drivers.
- Go through the list & you can manually select the Audio drivers which you would like to update.
- Or you can simply click on the Update All button to fix all the faulty drivers at once.
To read more about Smart Driver Care, you can read our complete guide right here!
Workaround 3- Check Sound Settings
To check audio settings are working aptly, follow the steps below:
- Click on the Start menu & head towards system Settings.
- Go to the System, followed by Sound option.
- Ensure your devices aren’t disabled by any chance, so select the external speaker & go to its Device Properties for your input & output devices.
- Uncheck the Disable check for all your device and verify the audio is working again.
Hopefully, this should be able to resolve “External speakers not working on Windows 10 PC/Laptop”.
Workaround 4- Run The Audio Troubleshooter
Follow the instructions below to run Windows audio troubleshooter & fix potential audio issues:
- Click on the Start menu & go to the Settings.
- Now head towards the System & click on the Sound menu.
- Choose the Troubleshoot option.
- Alternatively, you can type Audio Troubleshooter in the search box & run it to Fix and find problems with playing sound.
- Click the Next button!
Choose the device you would like to troubleshoot, in this case, select your connected ‘External Speakers’ to troubleshoot audio issues.
Workaround 5- Change Audio Devices
To resolve the audio devices issues, follow the steps below:
- Go to the Windows taskbar.
- Right-click on the speaker icon and choose Open Sound Settings & enter Audio preferences.
- From the Output section, head towards Manage Sound Devices.
- Select the Output device & choose the option
- Try external speakers until you start hearing the audio.
Hopefully, these workarounds will help you fix external speakers not working on Windows 10 laptops & PC.
Have any suggestions related to troubleshooting audio on a PC or laptop mention them in the comments section!
- How To Solve Audio Service Is Not Running On Windows?
- 14 Best Audio Recording Software For Windows 10/8/7 PC
- How To Restore Sound To My Computer?
- How To Add Windows 10 Equalizer: Best Way To Improve Sound On PC!