You don’t always need the latest MacBook and commercial music software to make music. A talented person with useful tools can also do wonders! If you are using Linux operating system, then you must know that it could be very helpful if you are into creating and producing music, then you can get hands-on good music creation apps whether you are beginner or professional.
In this post, we have listed some of the best music creation tools for Linux.
Audacity is a music making app for Linux which is available for free and is open source. This cross-platform tool can be used for recording and editing audio. It can run on MacOS X, Windows and others. Let’s take a look at the features of Audacity:
- It easily exports and imports files to and from different sound formats.
- This tool is a good option for copying, pasting, deleting, cutting for easy editing.
- It can record live audio via microphone, mixer and other media. Also, you can add sound effects to your music file.
Audacity comes with extensible which has different plug-ins.
Mixxx is a music making app which can fulfil your dream of becoming a professional DJ. It is Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX. The tool helps you test your audio after composing and mixing audio files. Let’s take a look at the features of Mixx:
- It comes with built-in sound effects and quad sampler decks.
- It also has four decks with advanced controls.
- It also comes with broadcast and recording features.
Mixxx is a free, open-source tool which comes with DJ hardware support which provides you with hands-on control of all features of the tool.
Cecilia is one of the best Linux creation tools which acts as an audio signal processing app that enables users to compose music and explore sounds. The tool can be used on Linux, Mac OSX and Windows.
Let’s take a look at the features of Cecilia:
- The tool can be used by sound designers to compose music.
- The app which enables you to design a customised graphic user interface using a simple syntax.
- The Cecilia comes with built-in modules which enable users for synthesis and to add sound effects.
Cecilia is a free, open source and comes with an automatic saving of the module after producing & deleting a preset.
4. Hydrogen Drum Machine
Hydrogen Drum Machine is a music making app which works a drum sampler which works both on Mac OS X and Linux. It comes with a fast, user-friendly and intuitive graphical user interface. Let’s take at the features of Hydrogen Drum machine:
- It has a Pattern-based sequencer which comes with multilayer instrument support
- The tool has a jack audio connection kit.
- It can also import and export drum kits along with export audio files to various formats.
Hydrogen Drum Machine supports samples in the compressed FLAC file. It also has a sampler editor with basic cut and loop functions.
Ardour is one of the best free Linux music creation app which helps you to edit, record, mix and master audio and MIDI projects. The software is useful for soundtrack editors, and composer. Let’s take a look at the features of Ardour:
- The app comes with flexible recording.
- You can import and export audio files of various formats.
- It comes with FX plugins, audio unit, LV2, Linux St and more
Ardour is an open source tool which provides a natural environment for producing and editing soundtracks for video projects.
Rosegarden is a free Linux music creation tool which is used for composing music and editing apps available on Linux platform. Let’s take a look at the features of Rosegarden:
- The application is developed around a MIDI sequencer which comes with an understanding of music notation.
- The app is easy to use and attractive app which is suitable for musicians, music students and home recording environments.
- The app is designed for music composers and musicians to work on small-scale recording environment.
Rosegarden supports for more than hundred MIDI playback devices. It provides support for DSSI Synth plugins.
Guitarix is developed to work on Linux, Mac OS X and BSD. It operates on Jack audio connection kit and it works when a signal is provided from a guitar. Let’s have a look at the features of Guitarix:
- It has in-built modules to allow you add effects to the rack.
- It also has LADSPA and LV2 plugins.
- The source code enables you to build it on other UNIX-like systems.
Guitarix is a virtual guitar amplifier which not only works on guitar signals but also works on any other sound generator.
So, this it! Now you know about music making software available for the Linux Operating system for free. If you know about any other music creation tools, then you can mention them in the comments section below.