Facebook users were tricked by third party application into sharing their data. There is no other truth, they may claim that all the users from their so-called survey volunteered to use the application. The fine print is that the users were not made aware that while accessing the application, Cambridge Analytica would also be data mining their profiles for details on their friend list amongst other things.
The need of the hour is an application that protects us against third party data tracking applications, ad pop ups and even crypto jackers. What we need is a software that once loaded, works on its own without user prompting. What we need is Ghostery.
Ghostery: The Friendly Ghost
Ghostery is a web browser extension. It allows one to simply log into it and then it becomes a ghost. Albeit, a friendly one! Residing in the search bar in the top right corner, this application protects your PC. Its latest update has enabled it to prevent illegal crypto jacking that takes excessive use of user’s CPU for mining purposes. Let’s know more about it.
- An extension that works on multiple web browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Opera etc)
- Officially declared itself an open source software in March 2018
- Perfect for non-technical Internet users
- Offers technical users a whole different set of options while maintaining same core tasks.
- Encryption ensures no third party can access any of the user data.
This software is a must add to ensure that you continue uninterrupted browsing without worrying about any form of cyber security threats. It also automatically blocks crypto jackers so that they cannot tap into your CPU’s processing power without your knowledge.
- Prevents Crypto jacking (Illegal mining of cryptocurrencies)
- Also available on iOS and Android
- Detects canvas fingerprinting (technique of web tracking users, even when they leave a site)
- Blocks Ads and helps one browse faster.
- Enables customization of the Display
- Protects privacy
- The pop up “read and change all your data on the websites you visit” at the time of installation may give you a pause. But, the only con ( if we can call it that) is that Ghostery can not overide the Browser. This message is a reference to the network requests from the websites. It is required for blocking purposes.
- Version: 8.1.0
- Updated: March 8, 2018
- Size: 4.47MiB
- Languages Supported: 13 apart from English
- Email: email@example.com
There are multiple number of web browsers available in the market. For one to block ads from popping, preventing third party applications from data mining and from preventing attempts of crypto jacking, Ghostery is a must add extension on all our devices. This extension has even been recommended by Edward Snowden for its multiple features that it provides. Download it here.
If you found this review helpful, then please let us know. Drop in your feedback in the comments section below.