With kids of all ages making their way to the smartphone, it is much more important for parents to take care of what they are exposed to. The Internet is a massive part of everyone’s life, be it giving access to your kids for studies or entertainment. Parental control on certain apps is significant for keeping a tab on the type of content a kid is accessing.
Can you put Parental Control on TikTok?
Yes, you can put parental control on TikTok. The question is crucial as we all need to know if we can let the kids use TikTok at all. Well, with increasing cases of child grooming, cyberbullying, one as a parent, must be aware. This is as much important as this paves a path for kid’s learning process in the growing years. So in the next segment, we will talk about how to use these parental controls on TikTok.
How to apply parental control on TikTok?
TikTok recently released a new feature called Family Safety Mode. Let’s learn how to use this on the kid’s account. The freshly introduced Family Safety mode links a kid’s account to the parents’ account. There it can be monitored for screen time, limited for texting and restrict content as per the age-appropriate. It is easier for parents to monitor their kid’s account remotely without having to show it directly. The parents can make changes to the kid’s account settings and turn on these features. Most of them work on the following parameters:
- You can control the duet option as just to restrict it to the friends or disable them altogether.
- One can quickly learn how to block someone on TikTok and keep them at a distance from your kid.
- Filtering comments is another way to keep your kid away from profanity and access to porn.
- Change the profile settings, for if to show the profile picture and videos on it to public or just friends.
- Turn off messaging altogether for your kid’s safety.
- To turn this feature on, you need to create a TikTok account on your phone. Now open the app on both the phones and head to Privacy & Settings on your kid’s accounts. First, we need to go to Digital Wellbeing and select Family Pairing, and now select which phone belongs to the parent and which one to the kid. Here the QR code is generated, and you can scan it from the other phone to connect these two. Now you need to make changes in the rest of the settings for your kid’s account without having to use their device. You can easily access their settings from your TikTok account.
- Now go to Digital Wellbeing, tap on the Turn On button. Now you will see a screen to fill in a passcode, make a secure password so your kid can’t guess. On the next page, turn on the toggle switch for Screen Management and Restricted mode.
- To Manage Duet Control, go to Privacy & Settings, now tap on Who Can Duet With Me and select an option from Friends or Off to be safe.
- To turn off the direct messages, go to Privacy & Settings, select the Who Can Send Messages to Me. Select an option from the Friends or Off option. Also, with the new policy, any kid under 16 is not allowed to the use direct messaging feature on TikTok.
- The Screen Management option is turned on, and therefore, the kid won’t be able to use the app after 2 hours. It will get locked after the set time.
Apart from this feature, you will need to talk to your kids about the ill effects of social media. It is better to educate them at the right age so they can be cautious about everything they do online.
Hopefully, this feature will be available to the rest of the world soon, as currently, you can only use it in the UK.
To Sum up:
TikTok has a plethora of videos and users; some can be potentially harmful to a kid. Such exposure can lead to unnecessary things, such as cyberbullying.
We hope this article will be helpful to you as you can monitor your child’s usage on TikTok. We would like to know your views on this post to make it more useful. Your suggestions and comments are welcome in the comment section below. Share the information with your friends and others by sharing the article on social media.
We love to hear from you!
We are on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube. For any queries or suggestions, please let us know in the comments section below. We love to get back to you with a solution. We regularly post the tips and tricks along with solutions to common issues related to technology. Subscribe to our newsletter to get regular updates on the tech world.