Summary: Mac offers built-in utilities and options to help you check storage. Let’s review some of these available options in this article.
How to check the storage on Mac?
To keep your Mac up & running, you need to keep a tab on Mac storage. Ideally, you should leave 10 percent of the space free to avoid performance issues. To do this, you can find multiple options to check the storage on Mac. Let’s review some of these options here to check available Mac storage.
1. Check storage on Mac in Finder
The first quick step to check the storage on Mac is to preview storage device in Finder. To do this, follow these steps:
- Head to Finder > Preferences.
- On the Finder Preferences window, select General tab.
- Now you need to select Hard Disks under Show these items on the desktop Once enabled, you will be able to see it on the desktop.
- Next is to choose the storage device on the desktop.
- Here, it would help if you pressed the spacebar. It will pop-up a new window.
- Here, you need to check the Capacity section. It will display the storage on your Mac.
Close this window now. To do this, press the space bar again. Alternatively, click on the X button to close it. You can also press Command + W keys to close it.
2. Check it into Disk Utility
Disk Utility is a useful addition on your Mac. You can use this smart option to view and manage storage space on mac easily. To check the storage on Mac using Disk Utility, follow these steps:
- Open Spotlight by clicking the magnifying glass at the upper right corner of the screen.
- Now you to need to type disk utility in the search box.
- Once Disk Utility option is displayed, please select it and press Enter. Alternatively, you can head to Applications and Utilities to find Disk Utility option.
- Now you need to choose the hard drive from the list.
On the Disk Utility window, you will be able to see drive type, used and available space, hard drive capacity, and other related information.
3. Try Show Status Bar in the Finder
Another quick way to check available Mac storage is to try Show Status Bar option in the Finder. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click on the Dock icon of Finder to open a Finder window. Alternatively, you can head to File > New Finder Window.
- From the menu bar, select View
- From the drop-down menu, select Show Status Bar
Now you will be able to see how much space is left or available on the drive and how many items are in the opening drive/folder.
4. Check it from About This Mac
If you want to check a detailed usage report of your Mac storage, then you can do it from About This Mac option. It displays you total usage report with in-depth analysis including how much space is occupied by different types of files such as audio, pictures, apps, etc. You can also find ‘Other Storage‘ here. To check the storage on Mac using About This Mac option, follow these steps:
- From Apple menu select About This Mac.
- It will take you to the new window. Here, select the Storage tab.
Now you will be able to check the storage on your Mac. It will display you how much space is occupied by different files & apps and how much storage space is available on disk.
5. Try Get Info Feature
Next option to check the storage on Mac is to try Get Info Feature. To do this, follow these steps:
- Select the hard drive from the left sidebar once you open the Finder window. Alternatively, you can select it from the desktop.
- From the menu bar select File
- From the drop-down list, you need to select the Get Info Alternatively, press command + I keys.
Now you will be able to see a lot of information, including capacity, available space, used space, system version, drive format, and more.
So, these were 5 quick steps you can use to check the storage on Mac. You can check Mac storage to identify the available storage space that you can use to store more important files. You can also free up storage space if needed to boost overall system performance