When we visit any website, cookies are created and information like your email address, name, preferences, and other data is stored on your browsers. Hence helping websites to identify the visitor and show relevant information that user might be interested in.
These cookies can be deleted manually from or by a software from the browser. Here we bring for you a handy guide explaining how to clear cookies stored in browser on Mac.
Cookies are directly linked to the browser you use, therefore to get rid of them you need to go to each browser settings and clean cookies individually. Doesn’t this sound monotonous?
Worry not we will make things easy and simple for you. Our step by step guide will help you clear cookies present in Safari, Chrome and Firefox browsers running on your Mac. But, before we learn about how to clear cookies from Mac, let me tell you, about simpler method that will clean cookies from Safari, Chrome and Firefox in few clicks i.e. TuneupMyMac an amazing and useful app.
It is worth giving a try, as it will not only save time but will also let you secure data that you would like to keep.
What are Website Cookies?
Cookies are small text files created by websites to save user information like site preferences, username, passwords, log-in status, and other details. Those paranoid about data security and privacy should delete cookies as it helps to secure personal information. Plus, cookies can reveal information about a user that can help bad guys gain access to your system.
Therefore, cleaning cookies is a good idea to stay safe. If you use more than one browser, cleaning them individually will be time consuming. Therefore, using a software to do the job will help.
TuneupMyMac is an application that will help you clean cookies from all browsers be it individual or entire list of cookies.
What are cookies used for?
Cookies are not only used to store user information they are used for following purposes also:
- Verifying user
- Storing mostly all information about user be it personal, settings or any preferences
- To keep a watch on user’s active access session and for how long they were online
- To collect user statistics
All this data helps various websites and companies to show relevant ads, calculate webpage rank, protect data and more. Cookies are small text files that cannot perform any action on their own therefore they can’t be considered malicious. But we cannot deny the fact that they do reveal and collect personal information. Plus, to access certain websites user needs to accept cookies, if he doesn’t the website doesn’t work normally.
Why do we need to clear cookies from Mac?
Cookies are helpful for marketing companies, search engine. As websites use them to show online ads, price change for the items searched and much more. But for users they turn out to be an annoyance.
Apart from this, cookies have other disadvantages like:
- Anyone who has access to your system can see which sites you visited, can login under your name using saved username and passwords.
- Takes valuable disk space.
- Cookies keep person’s browsing history in check.
How to clear cookies on Mac with TuneupMyMac?
TuneupMyMac is a powerful Mac cleaning and optimizing tool that works on Mac. It allows to clear cookies from multiple web browsers like Safari, Chrome, and Firefox in a click. Besides clearing cookies, it also deletes duplicate files, manages startup apps, cleans junk file, large files etc.
To clean cookies using this app, you need to download the app, > click on Internet Privacy module under MANUAL CLEANING present in the left pane. Here, click on Start Scan button.
The program will automatically scan for all privacy exposing traces like cookies, browsing history for all the installed browsers. Once you see the scan results select all that you want to delete and click on Clean Now.
Volia! All selected privacy exposing traces are cleared by TuneupMyMac software.
How to clean cookies manually?
To remove cookies manually, you need to select the browser and then follow the steps mentioned below.
How to clean cookies from Safari in Mac:
To manually clean cookies from Safari browser, you’ll have to go to settings. To know how to do that, you need to read further.
Here’s how to clear cookies from Safari browser 8.0 to 10.0 on any Mac:
1. Open Safari browser > and click on the menu bar present at the upper left hand of the screen.
2. Select Preferences.
3. In the new window that opens, click on the Privacy tab.
4. Next, click Remove All Website Data button.
5. In the pop-up window that opens click Remove Now.
Hurray, all the privacy exposing cookies are cleared from Safari browser from your Mac
Wasn’t it simple. Now let’s move further and learn how to clear cookies from Google Chrome browser.
How to clear cookies from Google Chrome browser?
To clear cookies from Google Chrome browser follow the steps below:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Next head to settings by clicking on three horizontal lines present at the top right corner.
3. From here, go to Settings.
4. In the new window that open head to “Show Advanced Settings” present at the bottom of the page.
5. Privacy > clear Browsing Data.
6. Next select “Cookies and other site and plugin data.”
7. Now, click on Clear browsing data.
This will remove all cookies exposing personal information.
Simple wasn’t it. Now let’s learn how to remove cookies from Firefox browser.
How to delete cookies on Firefox?
To delete cookies from Firefox on Mac follow the steps below:
1. Open Firefox.
2. Next head to Firefox’s Menu Bar > Preferences > Privacy.
3. Now, under History section select “Use custom settings for history” and click “Show Cookies.”
4. Select cookies that you would like to clean or you can simply click on Remove All button to clear all the cookies.
Hurray! you have cleared all cookies from Firefox browser present on Mac.
These simple steps will help you clear browser cookies on Mac. Also, we suggest you follow this process weekly to clear cookies from all the web browsers. Alternatively, you can use TuneupMyMac to do this job. As a browser with old information may malfunction, show irrelevant information or advertisement.
TuneupMyMac is a powerful tool that will help you optimize mac and remove junk files, duplicate file on your Mac.
Hope you like the article, if you have any feedback please feel free to share.