Windows systems have their own glitches and flaws. And if you are a Windows XP or Vista user, these might be little more for you. For obvious reasons, they make up the emerita category. So much so, they Microsoft lately abandoned Vista and no more updates will be released for the same. Likewise, Window XP also experience disk fragment, and similar issues.
However, disk fragment isn’t just a pain for XP users but also for higher version users. Down the line it is also one of the reasons for your system to run slow. When we say slow, it’s REALLY SLOW. Before we take you further on how to defrag hard drive, you should have a know-how of the term.
What is disk fragment?
Hard drives on your system have spinning platters. When you save data onto it, it is saved at a place on that platter. But when any part of the file is saved at a distance on the platter, it causes fragmentation on the drive. To simplify this, ideally your files should be saved closely on the drive. But when they don’t, it becomes little difficult for operating system to read them. Therefore, it takes time and cause your system to respond in a bind to your commands.
For Windows 10, 8.1, 8 & 7 this is not a major issue because they automatically defrag the drivers. Windows 8 & 7 require a proper scheduling and rest is assured. But when it comes to lower versions, it calls forth alarming attention. There are a few steps that you can perform on your Windows PC to defrag hard drive on your computer. Here you go:
- Click on Start> Control Panel> System & Security.
- Click on Defragment Your Hard Drive from Administrative Tools.
- Click on Analyze Disk.
This will help you if your disk requires defragmentation.
- Now click on Defragment Disk.
Also Read: How to do Disk Cleanup in Windows 7/8/10
Disk SpeedUp: A handy and efficient tool for defragmentation
The above mentioned are the manual steps for to defrag hard drive on your system. Window’s defragmenter is quiet decent and you can use it to address the issue. Alternatively, you can also rely on Disk SpeedUp. It is a disk defragmentation tool, which quickly defrags hard drives while notifying the user about fragmentation on the disk. It is handy tool which really doesn’t require any special knowledge for its use.
- You primarily need to download and launch the tool.
- Upon its successful setup, it would ask you select a disk for scanning.
- Select any disk which you want to scan. It will take some time to scan the disk, depending on the amount of data your disk has.
- Once the scan is successfully completed, it will show the results in a form of summary.
- After you have preview the real state of your disk, you should defrag it with a click on ‘Defrag’ button.
- The tool will finally defrag all files which might be causing your system woes.
Apart from optimizing your hard drives, Disk SpeedUp also performs a few more functions.
- It can clean junk files from your system.
- Help you find and remove duplicate files easily.
- It is designed with a Disk Doctor to find and fix some errors.
- It also allows you to customize scanning for defragmentation.
The tool is compatible with Windows Vista, XP, 7, 8, 8.1 & 10. Get the tool to enhance your system’s performance in no time.