Most of us can relate with the feeling of guilt, churning in the stomach especially when we send a message on Facebook only to regret. Whatever the reason be, sending a message by mistake, or with grammatical, and spelling mistakes you just wish undo sending it.
Thankfully, if it is a Facebook message you can delete messages on messenger.
How to delete messages on Messenger from both sides?
Most of you must have heard or tried WhatsApp’s, ability to unsend, sent messages. Same is the case with Facebook. Announced on October 2018 Facebook Messenger’s Unsend feature allows deleting sent messages.
Initially, this feature was rolled out in selected locations but now it’s available for all. Here are the quick steps to unsend a Facebook message.
Furthermore, if you have questions about Facebook like how to change the name on Facebook, how to recover deleted Facebook accounts, how to deactivate Facebook Messenger. We have covered that too in our previous blog.
How to delete messages on Messenger from both sides
To delete a message on messenger follow the steps below:
- Open Facebook Messenger.
- Tap & hold the message you wish to remove.
- Tap “Remove” present at bottom right corner > Remove for Everyone to delete messages on messenger from both sides.
- Confirm that you want to remove the message.
- A pop up with a message: “You’ll permanently remove this message for all chat members. They will be able to see that you’ve removed a message and still report it. ” will appear. Tap Remove to proceed.
This way you can delete Facebook messages from both sides.
Once the message is deleted a tombstone with “You removed a message,” will appear.
Curious how chats are deleted from messenger?
We’ll dive into it and will explain how to delete messenger messages.
How deleted chats in messenger appear?
Just like WhatsApp, when a message is deleted on messenger it is noticed by everyone in the chat.
In the screenshot below you can see how a deleted message appears in WhatsApp.
Now let’s see what the tombstone on Facebook Messenger reads. Similar to WhatsApp, on Facebook Messenger, you’ll see a single line, “You removed a message.”
Fun Fact: If the thread is deleted by someone else you will be able to see their name on both WhatsApp and Facebook.
How to delete Facebook messages from both sides?
Here is a detailed guide (with images) on how to delete messages on messenger from both sides.
1. Launch Facebook Messenger.
2. Open the chat from which you wish to delete the message.
3. Now, long hold the Facebook message until it gets highlighted and emoji reactions appear.
4. Next, instead of selecting an emoji tap Remove from the bottom of the screen.
5. You’ll now see a pop box with two options:
Remove for Everyone
Remove for You
6. To remove Facebook messages from both sides tap Remove for Everyone.
7. You’ll now get a final notification to confirm deleting sent messages. Tap “Remove” button to delete messages from both sides from messenger.
Once done you will see a tombstone line of text confirming message removal from Facebook Messages.
Hurray, you now know how to unsend a Facebook message. Moreover, if you are wondering about:
Can I delete Face messages?
You cannot delete messages sent to yourself. However, if someone has sent a picture or message you can delete it from your side. However, it will be deleted from your side but will appear for everyone else.
How long do I have to delete messages on messenger from both sides?
You can delete a sent message on Facebook messages from both sides within 10 minutes. The window is kept short to deal with cyberbullying.
Due to the increase in cyberbullying, teenagers, kids are instructed not to delete a threatening or inappropriate message as it is a record. By shortening the time limit of unsend feature Facebook wishes to limit abusers from deleting evidence.
Can I report a deleted abusive Facebook message?
If you receive an abusive message, and it is deleted within the time period of 10 minutes, there is still a way out.
To ensure these policies are abided and to protect users, Facebook keeps a copy of all messages for a short duration. This means even after they are deleted you can get them back.
To report removal of a harassment message:
- Tap on the name of the person you wish to report.
- Look for “Something’s Wrong” option > choose the harassment category.
So, these were simple steps to delete messages on messenger on both sides. Remember if you surpass the time limit of 10 minutes you’ll not get Delete for Everyone option. Hope you like the article do share your thoughts and leave us a comment.