We understand having adware or viruses installed on Mac can be irritating. Therefore, to help deactivate it, we’ve developed a security tool that helps deal with Mac-specific threats.
Download Systweak Anti-Malware & protect your Mac from malicious files, malware infections.
To know more about the tool read a comprehensive review on Systweak Anti-Malware
However, if you are DIY types and would like trying manual steps, read the detailed guide below to learn how to quarantine the TapuFind virus from Mac.
What is TapuFind Virus?
|Name||TapuFind (MacAppExtensions) browser hijacker|
|Category||Mac adware, PUP, browser hijacker, redirect virus|
|Related domains||Search.tapufind.com, tab.tapufind.com|
|Symptoms||Redirects web browser, display unwanted ads, slows down system|
|Distribution Methods||Fake Adobe Flash Player update popups, spam emails, and malware-infected apps|
|Symptoms||Changes browser’s custom settings, tracks user activity, redirects search results, alters search engine, shows redundant ads, and more.|
|Removal||Scan your Mac with Systweak Anti-Malware and detect all related browser hijacker files. This tool will secure your Mac from all types of old and latest threats.
Moreover, it scans startup items, extensions, plug-ins, etc. Most security tools don’t focus on helping boost browsing speed and system performance.
Technically, TapuFind is not a virus. Instead, it is a combination of adware and browser hijackers. To gain profit from it, threat actors display deceptive alerts on the victim’s web browser and exploit the compromised machine, thereby generating fake traffic to make money.
In addition to this, due to its distribution method, it is also categorized as a potentially unwanted program (PUP). Moreover, it comes bundled with freeware or makes its way into the system as a dubious Adobe Flash Player update.
TapuFind replaces search engines with search.tapufind.com and tab.tapufind.com – the former swaps search engines on the victim’s device whereas the latter forces you to open a new tab each time you use the browser. It is a multi-layered process.
Symptoms you are infected by TapuFind
- Fake popup alerts
- Changes default homepage, search engine, and a new tab open each time you search for something or use the browser.
- Search queries are redirected through search.tapufind.com
- Unwanted browser extensions get installed
- Shows splash screens saying, “Your browser is now up to date,” thereby pretending to inform the target of a successful installation of new features in Safari, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox. Once the user clicks OK, harmful software is downloaded in the background that infects your Mac.
- Tons of ads (pop-ups, banners, hyperlinks, etc.) start
TapuFind virus runs with admin privileges; hence it never seeks the user’s permission to make changes. And due to these elevated rights, it easily alters victim’s web surfing presets.
MacAppExtensions.app. is a critical and dangerous add-on file related to TapuFind. Therefore, as a part of the cleaning process, we need to ensure this file gets deleted.
How to Manually Get Rid of the TapuFind Virus on Mac
To delete TapuFind from Mac, you will first need to quit any suspicious running process. For this, we will use Activity Monitor as here you can see all running processes. To open Activity Monitor, press Command+Shift+U.
Now, under Activity Monitor, look for TapuFind or other related processes; if you can find any, select, and click the X present at the top left to Quit the running process.
The malicious process usually hides behind the name of a genuine process. Therefore, if you cannot find anything related to TapuFind, look for processes taking unnecessary CPU memory. The ones consuming the outrageous amounts of memory are susceptible.
Afterward, head to the Applications folder and look for suspicious apps:
1. To open the Application folder, press Shift +Command + A
2. Find the TapuFind app or look for suspicious software that you don’t remember downloading.
3. Select > right-click > Move to Trash.
Once you have performed the above action, it’s time to remove adware-generated files and folders. To find them follow the steps below:
1. Open Finder > Go menu > Go to Folder.
2. Type /Library/LaunchAgents into the search box > Go.
3. Look for any suspicious files associated with the TapuFind > right-click Move to Trash. Here are a few examples:
4. Again open Go to Folder and this time enter:
~/Library/LaunchAgents > Go
You need to follow the same steps and run the following commands:
5. Review each folder for suspicious files, items and delete them or drag to Trash.
6. Once done, Empty Trash.
Note: When removing files pay attention. Deleting a system file or an important file might cause a system crash. So, if you are not sure about a file, do not remove it.
Finally, let’s restore the browsers and make them work flawlessly. To do so, delete extensions that you don’t recognize or are unnecessary. Moreover, set a preferred homepage and search engine.
To learn how to do that all follow the steps below:
1. Open Safari.
2. Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
3. Look for dicey extensions and hit Uninstall. Confirm the action when asked.
4. Head to the General tab. Enter the preferred website URL in the Homepage field.
5. Hit Search tab > choose the Search engine.
1. Launch Chrome.
2. Copy-paste chrome://extensions into the address bar and hit Enter
3. Remove unwanted extensions.
4. Now copy-paste chrome://settings in the address bar.
5. In the On start-up section, select what you want as the homepage.
6. Click the Search engine tab > select the preferred search engine from the drop-down menu.
1. Launch Firefox and head to about:addons.
2. Click the Extensions tab on the toolbar.
3. Click the three stacked dots next to the extension you want to delete > click Remove. Confirm the action.
4. Head to about: preferences.
5. Click Home to choose a default homepage.
6. Set the search engine.
You are all set.
How to get rid of the TapuFind virus automatically.
If the above steps are too much for you, try following a simpler way. Use a trusted and test anti-malware tool that can help get the job done in no time. Offered by Systweak, the security app known as Systweak Anti-Malware is a powerful security tool that detects and deletes all infections from Mac. Here’s how it works.
1. Download, install, and launch Systweak Anti-Malware (available as a free download; click here to get it.)
2. Click the Scan tab one with lens icon and select Deep Scan > hit Deep Scan. We suggest this, as it is more thorough and performs in-depth scanning. Remember, depending on the size of the disk; it will take time.
3. Wait for it to finish scanning.
4. Once you have the scan results, select all files related to the TapuFind virus and click Fix Now.
5. This will quarantine the threats.
In addition to this, as TapuFind is a combo of adware, browser hijacker, we suggest you click the Startup tab and perform scanning.
Once done, select all files related to TapuFind and click Fix Now. This will help get rid of the TapuFind virus.
Now you know with the right tool installed on your Mac, you can deal with any problem. In this case, using Systweak Anti-Malware, you can get rid of the TapuFind virus and other threats in just a few clicks. If you don’t want to run Systweak Anti-Malware manually or it is difficult for you to remember when to run, you can schedule a scan. To do so, launch Systweak Anti-Malware, click Preferences > hit the Scheduler tab.
Here set the time, choose the scan type and day on which you would like to run it. Click Apply to save settings, and you are all set. Now, Systweak Anti-Malware will run automatically at the set time, keeping you secure from all threats.
We hope you will give this tool a try. Do share your feedback with us in the comments box below.