Operating Systems, Windows 8 and 10 have a feature which allows only those drivers to get installed which are digitally signed by Microsoft. This feature is known as ‘Driver Signature Enforcement’. It imposes restrictions on unsigned driver installations. Therefore, if you wish to install a driver which is not signed by Microsoft, you will need to disable this feature. Usually developers would need to disable this feature to test unsigned developed drivers.
Please Note: Disabling “driver signature enforcement” will uncover you to incompatible and malicious drivers and can make your PC unprotected. So, only install unsigned drivers that you trust.
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement on Windows 10 by:
- Using Command Prompt
Windows command prompt is an important tool to perform almost every task. Using command prompt, you can enter the ‘Test Mode’, which is already provided in Windows 8 & 10, that allows users to test and install unsigned drivers.
To enter the Test mode, you simply need to run a command on command prompt. So just follow the steps below:
- On the desktop screen, press Windows and X keys together, and click on Command Prompt (Admin).
Now press “Yes” on the popup window to run Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Once you enter the Command Prompt, just type bcdedit /set TESTSIGNING ON and press Enter key to enter the Test mode.
Now you can install unsigned drivers on your system.
Also, you can disable it once you have completed your task by typing bcdedit /set TESTSIGNING OFF in Command Prompt (Admin) and press Enter key.
- Using Startup Settings
- Click on Start and select ‘Settings’ option or simply press Windows and I keys together.
- Once you enter Settings, click on Update & Security.
- Now click on ‘Recovery’ option from left panel and select ‘Restart Now’ from Advanced Startup on right panel.
- Now click on Troubleshoot
- Select Advanced Options
- Under Advanced Options menu, click on ‘Startup Settings’.
- After entering Startup Settings, click on Restart.
- Now this step is important, as here you will be able to disable driver signature enforcement. So, to select ‘Disable driver signature enforcement’ from the list just press
- Finally, your system will boot with disabled Driver signature enforcement.
So, if you wish to install any unsigned but trusted driver in your windows 8 or 10 system or if you are a developer and wish to test your developed driver, you can simply follow any of these two ways.
Next Read: How To Reset Your Xbox One