Emails are one of the primary ways to communicate, be it professionally or personally. However, apart from mails from known people our inbox is usually hogged by annoying emails from unknown contacts. Most of these emails that come from unknown senders mainly comprise of marketing emails or promotional emails. However, sometimes it may happen that we get an email asking for our immediate attention but we do not know the sender. Therefore, in such cases, it is better to get some idea about the email, who has sent it? and the location from where has it been ? The former part is already described in the email but to know the location you have to dig in a bit deep.
So, if you too wish to know about the location of the email sender for your emails then just go through the article.
Trace the Location of Email Sender in Gmail:
Frankly speaking, it is not that much difficult to trace the location of email sender in Gmail. All you need is to find the IP address of the sender that is available in the header of the email to get his location.
Note: Emails sent using a popular email client like Yahoo and Microsoft Outlook contains the information about email sender’s IP in the header of the email, however Gmail another well-known email client may or may not contains that information.
Get the Location of Email Sender Using IP Address:
1. To get started sign into your Gmail account with your email id and password.
2. Now click on the email for which you want to get the location of the sender.
3. Click on the down arrow button that is next to Reply button and from the drop-down menu select Show original.
4. A new tab will open containing a detailed information about the email. Since we only want to get the IP address of the email sender therefore, look, out for the word Received: From. You can also be a bit smarter to find Received: From by pressing Ctrl+F on your Keyboard.
5. Locating the IP address of the email sender is half the work done. Now once we have the IP address our next step is to use any IP tracker service or tool. There are various websites available that can help you in finding the location of the IP address. In our article we are using website IP-Tracker.org.
6. Open the website and enter the IP address in the address tracker search bar and hit Enter. It will show you the location of the sender like its country, city along with its time zone, IDD and the ISP.
Also Read : How To Undo A Sent Email In Gmail
Now once you are able to get an insight of the location of sender then you can easily decide that whether you have to respond to that email or not. Also, it will help you in deciding that the email you have received from an unknown sender is genuine or a spam.
So, guys, now from next time onwards if you get an email from a person or organization and this is not in your contact list just get an idea about its authenticity by checking its location in an email a header field. If the email sender is claiming to be from United States of America and the IP address is indicating its location in some other country then just be extra careful before responding that.