Error code 0xc00000f is a common Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) fatal Windows error, that appears after installing new software or updating an operating system. It might look like:
File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe Error code: 0xc000000f
With time as Windows get old, users receive plenty of errors. Therefore, fixing these errors is required. Error code 0xc00000f is a common Windows 10 error associated with Windows Boot Manager. This means when the Boot Configuration Database file goes missing or gets corrupt and Windows fail to start error code 0xc00000f is displayed asking users to repair their PC.
Restarting PC doesn’t help resolve this message. Hence in this article, we will talk about the reasons and ways to fix error 0xc000000f on Windows 10. In addition to this, if you face any other error message like STOP:0x0000007e, Stop Code System Service Exception, driver_irql_not_less_or_equal, 0xe06d7363 Run-Time, Error 0x80070057 you can read our other articles and fix them as well.
Now, let’s read further and learn why you get error 0xc000000f and how to fix this error code on Windows 10.
Reasons why you get error 0xc000000f on Windows 10
You get error 0xc000000f on Windows 10 due to the following reasons:
Corrupt boot sector due to infections or power outage
Damaged hard disk
Corrupt system drivers, system files
Damage External device or power cord
How to Fix Error 0xc000000f on Windows 10
There is no single solution to fix error 0xc000000f. A solution that might work for some may not work for others. Therefore, here we bring all the possible solutions that you can use to fix error 0xc000000f on Windows 10.
Boot Configuration Database (BCD) file is considered the main reason for error code 0xc000000f. When the BCD file goes missing or is corrupt while booting the error code appears.
Solution 1: Disable peripheral hardware
When the power cord is used for a long time it can get damaged. Therefore, to fix error 0xc000000f you should check the power cord and remove external devices that do not work.
- Check power cable and replace it with a new one if it is used for long or is damaged.
- Try detaching all connected hardware except keyboard and mouse.
- Remove CD, USB, printer, and other external devices from the ports.
- Restart your PC.
This should help resolve error 0xc000000f. If your PC restarts without error 0xc000000f try to identify the damaged hardware that was causing 0xc000000f error on Windows 10.
Solution 2: Use BOOTREC.EXE Utility to Reboot PC
BOOTREC.EXE utility is available in Windows and it will help fix error 0xc000000f. To use it you’d need Windows DVD or USB installation disk. As it helps repair the boot files and correct the boot configuration data (BCD), which controls the launching of the Windows OS. To use it follow the steps below:
- Restart your PC and use either the USB installation disk or Windows DVD.
- Next, restart your PC and press any key when prompted.
- Choose the correct date, time, language, currency before pressing NEXT.
- Choose the operating system you want to repair.
- Click “Command Prompt” in the “System Recovery Options.”
- Type “bootrec.exe” in the prompt before pressing ENTER.
This will make the utility run automatically and repair BCD before the PC is restarted. Your PC will now reboot without error 0xc000000f appearing on the screen.
Solution 3: Use Startup Repair
Before following the steps explained below change boot order in BIOS and put CD ROM or Removable Devices as the first boot choice. To learn how to reset BIOs settings read our article.
- After changing the boot order, insert the Windows installation disk and start the computer. This will help boot from the Windows installation disk.
- Once the PC is booted from Windows installation disk, click “Repair your computer.
- Click Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Repair. Once the recovery process is finished restart your PC.
You can also boot your Windows in Safe mode and try to run Automatic repair.
Solution 4: Repair BCD
As you did in Solution 3 change the boot order to CD-ROM or Removable Devices according to the medium you are using i.e. CD or USB that has Windows installation.
1. Now, insert Windows installation disk and restart your computer.
2. Click Repair your computer > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command prompt.
3. Now type following commands in the same order and press enter after each command:
bootrec / fixmbr
bootrec / fixboot
bootrec / scanos
bootrec / rebuildbcd
Once all commands are entered Windows will automatically scan and rebuild BCD.
After the process is finished restart your PC.
This will help fix error code 0xc00000f on Windows 10.
Using any of the solutions explained above you can easily fix Windows error code 0xc000000f blue screen of death error. When there is an issue with the Windows boot manager or startup files error code 0xc00000f occurs. Therefore, fixing it becomes very essential. We hope using the above method you were able to fi error code 0xc00000f. Do let us know which method worked for you, this will help us know the most effective method.