While playing games, nothing can be more annoying than facing a Game Stuttering problem. And if it happens on a high-end PC with the powerful graphics card, processor, RAM, and latest gaming hardware, it’s unacceptable, right?
Yet, it is a common problem for Windows 10 users, and if you are a gamer you should know how to address it. This post will help us learn how to fix Game Stuttering on Windows 10.
However, before getting into details, to fix common Windows issues, we recommend using Advanced PC Cleanup. This one-stop PC Optimization and maintenance solution helps repair common PC issues, protect files from malware, spyware, declutter hard disk, fix invalid registries, and tuneup PC for better performance.
What is Game Stuttering?
An unusual delay between GPU frames that impacts gameplay is called Game Stuttering. In simple words a slow, laggy, and delayed player action during the game is Stuttering and it makes playing the game difficult for the gamer.
Some players say after Windows update their game started to stutter and some just keep wondering why they face game stuttering with high FPS.
If you can relate to it, read the post till the end and learn how to fix PC game stuttering in Windows 10.
Now let’s learn how to fix game stuttering on PC?
10 Best Ways to fix Game Stuttering – Windows 10
List of Contents
- 1. Initial Fixes
- 2. Disable GameBar and Game DVR
- 3. Update Graphics Driver
- 4. Exit Unwanted Background Apps
- Additional Tip
- 5. Disable Diagnostic Policy Service
- 6. Turn off Dynamic Tick
- 7. Inactivate Intel Turbo Boost
- 8. Check Internet Connection (Online Games)
- 9. Alter in-game Settings
- Additional Tip
- Frequently Asked Question
1. Initial Fixes
Before getting into details, here are certain things that you need to ensure are in the proper place. In case, they aren’t, it’s likely that you will face PC game stuttering issues.
1. Unmatched System requirements. If they aren’t met then chances of encountering game stuttering issues increase
2. Outdated game and not installing the latest patches
3. Not running the latest version of Windows should be updated
If all these things are in place, yet you face computer game stuttering, follow the fixes given below:
2. Disable GameBar and Game DVR
Certain players have complained of facing game stuttering after updating to Windows 10 Creators Update. If you too started facing the issue after it, try disabling Windows Game Bar and Game DVR.
To do so, follow the steps below:
1. Press Windows + X
2. Select Settings > Gaming > Captures
3. Toggle off the button next to Record in the background while I’m playing a game.
4. This will disable Game DVR.
3. Update Graphics Driver
If you are running outdated or corrupt drivers chances of facing game stutters increase. To resolve it, updating the graphics driver is recommended.
To do so follow the steps below :
1. Press Windows + R > dxdiag > Ok
2. Click the System Tab, to get OS details. Next click Display tab.
3. Thereafter, check graphic driver version and manufacturer details. Make a note of them as you will need it.
4. Now visit manufacturer’s website. Usually, it is NVIDIA or AMD
5. After this, head to download page > select graphics card model > OS and other details.
6. Download the latest version of graphics card according to the Windows system you are using.
Note: If you are unable to see the current version of the driver, then instead of downloading and running it, save it on the desktop. Right-click the driver > Run as administrator > extract the driver > you will now see a setup wizard > follow on-screen instructions to run the driver.
Once this is done, retry playing the game. Well, if all this sounds like too much work you can use Smart Driver Care, the best driver updating tool, or can check our article on best driver updaters for Windows.
4. Exit Unwanted Background Apps
1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc
2. Hit Processes tab.
3. Select the program you would like to exit and press the End Task button
4. In addition to this, to free up RAM, disable third-party services by selecting and right-clicking the unwanted service under Background processes > End Task.
Tip: When system resources are not optimized for games, Game stuttering problems occur. Hence, to avoid facing such problems when playing games ensure too many background apps aren’t running.
5. Use V-Sync
When there’s a discrepancy between the GPU and monitor frame rate stuttering occurs. To resolve this, some NVIDIA and AMD PCs include V-Sync and Enhanced Sync settings. Using them, you can match frame rates. To do so, follow the steps below:
1. Right-click on a space on the desktop > select NVIDIA Control Panel
2. Choose 3D Settings > select Manage 3D Settings > select Force on option from the drop-down menu.
3. Right-click desktop > select AMD Radeon settings.
Note: This will enable AMD Enhanced Sync, substitute of V-Sync.
4. Select Global Settings (AMD Radeon Settings window) > wait for Vertical Refresh to select the Enhanced Sync option.
5. Now try to run the game and you should not face any problems.
5. Disable Diagnostic Policy Service
To fix game stutter problems, disabling Diagnostic Policy Service is suggested before launching games. This has helped some users hence, we have included this as a fix.
To disable it, follow the instructions given below:
1. Press Windows + R > enter services.msc > Ok.
2. Look for Diagnostic Policy Service, double click to open it. Next to Startup click the dropdown and select Disabled.
3. Hit the Apply button > OK option.
4. Restart the system and retry running the game using which you were facing a game stutter issue.
6. Turn off Dynamic Tick
1. Open elevated Command Prompt.
2. Here enter the following command:
bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes > Enter.
3. Next, enter:
bcdedit /set useplatformclock true > Enter key.
4. Afterward, enter:
bcdedit /set tscsyncpolicy Enhanced > Enter.
5. Exit Command Prompt and reboot the system. Now try to play your favorite game. You should not face the game stuttering problems.
7. Inactivate Intel Turbo Boost
1. Press Windows + R
2. Enter powercfg.cpl > OK.
3. Click Change plan settings > change advanced power settings
4. Navigate to Processor power management and expand it.
5. Double-click, Maximum processor state > change the setting to 99% > Apply > OK.
8. Check Internet Connection (Online Games)
If the connection you are using is unstable, you might face game stuttering on your PC. Hence to resolve the issue, we suggest you check the internet connection and switch to a stable one.
9. Alter in-game Settings
If nothing has worked so far, try altering in-game settings. This will help resolve the stuttering in all games.
1. Run the game in Windowed mode and set graphics settings to Normal or Low.
2. In addition to this, disable Shadow quality, and other settings that might slow the game.
3. Now try to run the game, the stuttering problem should no longer exist in Windows 10.
Additional Tip: If you are using a high-end PC and facing game stuttering issues try tweaking some of the settings. This will help fix game stuttering problems and boost system performance.
Here are the steps to alter Windows settings.
1: Enable High performance
1. Press Windows + R
2. Type powercfg.cpl > OK.
3. Click Create a Power Plan from the left pane and select High performance.
4. Save changes and restart your computer
This should help fix games stuttering on Windows 10.
2: Change System Properties
1. In Windows search bar type This PC > right-click > Properties.
2. Click Advanced system settings from the left pane.
3. Hit Advanced tab > Performance section > click Settings
4. Thereafter click the Advanced tab > select the radio button next to Adjust for best performance > Apply > ok.
5. Reboot the system and then try to run the game. The stuttering GPU problem should now be fixed.
3: Deactivate CPU Core 0 for the Game
1. Open Task Manager > Details tab
2. Right- click on CS:GO.exe > Set affinity > de-select the box next to CPU 0 > OK.
3. Restart the game, this should solve the game stuttering issue.
So, this is all we have on how to resolve Game Stuttering issues when playing a game on Windows 10. We hope using these fixes you can resolve the problem and enjoy smooth gameplay with a fast performing PC.
Do let us know which steps worked for you. However, if you tried some other fix please share the same. We’d love to hear from you.
Frequently Asked Question
Q1. How do I fix a stuttering game?
To fix game stuttering try applying the following fixes:
- Change screen resolution
- Update graphic and GPU driver
- Check internet connection
- Disable unwanted background processes
Q2. How do I fix stuttering on Windows 10?
To troubleshoot stuttering of the game on Windows 10, try the below-mentioned workarounds:
- Disable Game Bar and Game DVR
- Update graphic driver
- Disable Intel Turbo Boost
- Deactivate Diagnostic Policy Service
- Change Graphical Settings
- End Unwanted Background Processes
Q3. What is stuttering in video games?
Irregular delays between GPU frames are Game Stuttering.
Q4. How do I fix stuttering Nvidia?
To fix try the following fixes:
- Update NVIDIA Drivers
- Enable Vsync
- Disable Gaming options
- Change processor to NVIDIA GPU
Q5. Can HDD cause stuttering in games?
If the HDD you are using is fragmented, you can face stuttering in games. To fix this, we suggest defragging the HDD.