Developers of the most popular operating system- Microsoft Windows keep putting sincere efforts to enhance user experience of its user. Unlike some of the previous versions On Windows 10 computer users hardly face an issue. But sometimes even it become harder to get into the system as it starts showing an error messaging saying Windows 10 not booting or sometimes system simply do not get turn on. There can be many reasons behind such problems. In this article let us understand the root causes of such issues and how you can deal with it using some simple repairing fixes.
Hardware related issues:
Especially when your system is showing nothing when you are pressing power button the cause can be the hardware. In this situation you should check following components.
SMPS is the power supply component on your computer which is responsible for distributing power to different components of your computer so first you should check if your SMPS is healthy.
2. Check connections of cables then of RAM and Hard drive:
Checking cables and connections should be the first thing you should do before opening CPU. Once you are done with it you should check connection of RAM and the hard disk.
3. Unplug all the peripherals:
Sometimes this is because of external peripherals that your computer take time to boot or if they are having circuit issues it does not boot at all. So, it is a better idea to unplug all the peripherals and check if your system gets turned on.
Performing OS repair:
When hardware related fixes do not work, or your system is getting turned on, but you are getting a black screen which says a component of the operating system has expired then you should try some operating system repairing steps.
1. Boot your system to recovery environment, then perform a startup repair. To boot to the recovery environment, turn the computer on and off three times. You should turn it off when you see windows logo. Third time you will see Advanced Options on the recovery screen of diagnostic mode.
2. After clicking on Advanced options, you will see troubleshoot option. Then you will have an option to reset your computer or to choose advanced options. Go for advanced options.
3. Next choose Startup repair.
This will check online for the fixes. If you have a disc of windows or a flash drive, then you should insert it now because in case your internet speed is not good wizard will look for a repair from the disk. Once the wizard is complete this will be able to resolve Windows 10 not booting error.
Using windows 10 startup repair command prompt:
If you are not able to perform repair using startup repair wizard, then next you should try BOOTREC command. For this you will need a bootable disk or a bootable flash drive and then you can follow these steps.
- After booting system to setup go to Repair Computer option > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.
- Once command prompt screen is open in front of you pass following commands.
BOOTREC /FIXMBR and press <Enter>.
- If windows detect a damage this command will attempt to write a new boot sector on the hard drive. Usually, this happens when you have an older version of windows or you have installed an un compatible operating system such as Linux.
- Command will take few minutes to execute and then you will see a message saying the operation completed successfully which means Windows 10 not booting error has been resolved successfully.
- Sometimes you may get an error message Boot manager is missing then here is another command which you should try. Type BOOTREC /RebuildBcd and hit enter.
- If above command is also not working, then it means as per windows recommendations you should backup your BCD (Boot Configuration Data) store and then you need to run this command again. Here are the commands to backup your BCD.
Type given commands and hit enter
- bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
- cd boot
- attrib bcd -s -h -r
- ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
- bootrec /RebuildBcd
This time Bootrec command will work and booting issues will be fixed.
If None of the above options work, then you can proceed further to install a fresh copy of windows. While installing windows you should choose custom install which will create a backup of your old windows and you will have a folder with name windows old in your C: drive and you will be able to recover your data from here.
This is how you can get rid of Windows 10 not booting error. Now you can get into your system and it is always a good idea to keep your important files to a safe location.