Making space on your device by deleting files is a common way to keep your device unclogged. Sometimes you want to delete the files permanently because you are either selling your computer or want the files gone permanently for security reasons.
You can’t possibly make this happen manually. Doing this tedious task with the help of a third party app not only saves your time but also ensures that the work is done. With the help of an app, you can permanently delete files and also its traces.
In this post, we will discuss how to delete your files on Mac permanently without leaving any traces.
Can You Delete Files Manually?
Yes, it can be! You can remove your files manually from your Mac and there are two methods to do the same with Keyboard Shortcuts. If your Mac is updated to the latest version of OSX, then you have an option to permanently delete files on Mac. This means the deleted file will be removed from your Mac instead of landing into the Trash bin.
1. Keyboard Shortcuts For Deleting Files/Folders Immediately:
To delete a file or folder permanently, follow these steps:
- Select the file that you want to delete permanently.
- Now Press Option+Command+Delete on your keyboard and click Delete on the prompt that appears to complete the process.
This method will permanently delete a file from your Mac.
Note: You can also permanently delete folders on Mac in the same way.
2. Use Finder Menu To Delete File/Folder Immediately:
You can also use Finder menu to delete a file or folder immediately. To do so, follow these steps:
- Select the file(s) or folder(s) that you want to permanently delete on your Mac then hold the OPTION key while you access the “File” menu from the Finder.
- From the drop-down list, select Delete immediately.
- It will ask for your permission to Delete a file/folder permanently.
No doubt the files will be deleted permanently with this method however, there may be traces left behind. So, to make sure that your deleted files stay irretrievable and is out of your Mac without leaving any traces, then using a third party app is the best option.
Can We Permanently Delete Files/Folders On Mac?
One of the best software to take care of this mess is TuneupMyMac application by Systweak software. The application has an inbuilt shredder which works wonders when it comes to deleting secret files permanently. We have listed a step by step guide which will help you to know how to use shredder option of TuneupMyMac to delete files permanently without leaving traces. Download TuneupmyMac here.
1. Launch TuneupMyMac or install if you have got it already.
2. Once the app is up, under Security, click Shredder.
3. The shredder interface is up, click Add to add the files or folders which you want to remove permanently.
4. Make sure you have selected the files which you want to delete by double checking the list.
5. Now, click on shred icon to permanently delete files on Mac.
In this way, you can delete files, photos or folders permanently from your Mac without leaving traces behind.
Are There Any Additional Features Of TuneupMyMac?
Yes, the application has other features as well. The application doesn’t only remove files or photos from your Mac but also helps you recover storage on your Mac. It also comes with an inbuilt duplicate file cleaner, which helps you to remove duplicate files from your Mac and helps you keep your Mac organized. It will also help you to recover space on your Mac by clicking it and removing logs and other junk files on your Mac. You can also uninstall applications from your Mac along with its associated files.
Using this software can work on Mac OS X 10.7 or later so if you are running an older version of OS X which is not having “Delete immediately” option by default it can be considered as better way.