File Explorer which sometimes is also referred to as Windows Explorer is a tool in Windows 10 which helps us access all our files and drives quickly. Just like any other tool, it can too have its share of issues. For instance, your Windows 10 File Explorer may open randomly even when you did not open it. Although this might not be a significant issue, it can hamper your working experience, and it can also point towards several underlying problems. As such, it should be promptly dealt with.
So, if your Windows 10 File Explorer keeps on opening on its own or opens several files without your prior knowledge, here are certain fixes which can help you resolve the problem.
Quick Ways To Deal With File Explorer That Keeps On Opening By Itself
Now, we’ll look at each of these ways that can help you fix a File Explorer that opens automatically, or that opens multiple files or folders –
1. Uncheck The AutoPlay Option
If your Windows 10 File Explorer keeps on popping automatically on its own or pops up files and folders automatically when you plug in external peripherals such as hard drives or USB flash storage, then you can try the steps mentioned below.
- Open the Control Panel by typing control in the search bar next to the Windows icon and then choosing Control Panel.
- First, click on the View by dropdown and choose Small if not already chosen.
- Click on AutoPlay option.
- Uncheck the Use AutoPlay for all media and devices
- Alternatively, under the Removable drives, you can also click on the Removable drive dropdown and choose Take no action.
- Click on Save
Now, reboot your computer and check if the file explorer is not opening randomly or not.
2. Check For Virus Presence
You can use the inbuilt Windows Defender to scan your Windows 10 PC for viruses or use some of the best Antivirus for Windows 10. For instance, you can use Advanced System Protector that genuinely helps keep all kinds of viruses, spyware, adware, Trojans and several other threats at bay.
- Download, install and launch Advanced System Protector
- From the top of the interface, click on the Infection Scan magnifying glass icon.
- Choose the mode of the scan, i.e. Quick, Deep or Custom.
- Click on Scan Now
- Now, the software will scan your system for any malware or virus traces or any other threats and remove them from your system.
3. Fixing The Issue Using The Task Manager
Just as any other tool or app, there can be times when even File Explorer might be misbehaving and opening randomly, which is when properly closing it can be of help. Many users have reported that by running the Explorer.exe process, they were able to resolve the issue. To run the process, follow the steps mentioned below –
- Open the Task Manager by right-clicking on the Taskbar and then choosing Task Manager from the pane or press Ctrl+Shift+Esc
- UnderApps locate Windows Explorer.
- Right-click on it and chooseEnd task
- Now, click on File from the upper left corner and click on Run new task.
- Type explorer.exein the Create new task search box and click on OK
- Restart your laptop or desktop and check if the issue has been resolved
4. Run SFC To Fix Corrupted Files
The presence of broken or corrupted files can lead to several issues, and it can be one of the reasons why your File Explorer is opening randomly even if you do not intend to. Windows 10 has a handy way using which you can catch hold of corrupted files and repair them. Here are the steps –
- Type cmd in the search box next to the Windows icon
- From the right-hand pane, click on Run as administrator.
- When the Command Prompt opens type SFC /scan now and press Enter. This will take a few minutes.
In The End
We hope that now your file explorer will not open randomly. If your file explorer is not working correctly or has completely stopped working, do check out these fixes. For more such content and other troubleshooting guides, keep reading Systweak blogs. Also, don’t forget to upvote this blog and follow us on Facebook and YouTube.