The users trust Mac machines for its performance, reliability, speed, and quality. But when they start to underperform or give issues, we get annoyed. To resolve the problem, we either update the operating system, apps, and other installed programs or take it to the nearest store, right?
We do this out of habit because in general, most errors are tracked to unstable software. But do you know faulty hardware can also cause these issues?
To know if it is the faulty hardware, let’s run Apple Hardware Test, also known as Apple Diagnostics.
What is Apple Diagnostics?
Built-in Mac since 2013 Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test are the tools designed to diagnose problems with your computer’s internal hardware. These tests are an effective way to identify the cause of a Mac performance problem. This could be a failing disk drive, CPU, GPU, or overloaded memory.
How to Run Apple Diagnostics on Mac?
Sometimes due to hardware problems, the Mac system fails to boot. Luckily, we have Apple Diagnostics or Hardware Test, to resolve this problem. Using them, we can restart Mac.
Note: Before running Apple diagnostics, Apple recommends printing the support instructions. Once you’ve them, you can follow the steps below to run Apple diagnostics (on newer hardware & OS) and Apple Hardware Test (on older devices)
Steps to Run Apple Diagnostics on Mac
Note: Before running Apple Diagnostic disconnect all peripherals, external drives, and hardware devices excluding monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
1. Click the Apple logo and select Restart.
2. Press and hold D key until you see list of different languages on the screen
3. Choose the language; this will run Apple Diagnostics automatically.
4. Wait for 2-5 minutes to get the list of detected problems.
5. You’ll see solutions and error codes.
6. Once you have all the information, you can either repeat the test to get more details or can restart the Mac.
What if you are unable to run diagnostics?
If Apple Diagnostics fails to run on your Mac, don’t panic. This is not an unsolvable problem. There’s a possibility that some external device is still attached. So, double-check everything and disconnect CD, USB leaving display, keyboard, mouse intact.
Besides, this part of the diagnostics can be damaged. To resolve this restart Mac by holding down Option + D. If this too doesn’t work, then firmware password can be a problem. Make sure you disable it.
Once you keep these points in mind, you will be able to run Apple diagnostics.
What if Apple Diagnostics founds no issues?
Say, for example, you run the diagnostics, and it comes back with nothing? Does it mean everything is fine? Or things are in such bad shape that you will need to buy a new Mac?
Don’t worry; it’s nothing like that. If Apple diagnostics show nothing, it means the hardware is in perfect condition, and the problem might be with the software. Therefore, you need to check if your Mac is overheating or slowing down too much. If that is the case your Mac might be running low on disk space, there might be a lot of junk files or too many duplicates.
All this not only takes up storage space but also slows down Mac, making it difficult for you to work.
In such a case using a best Mac optimizer and cleaner that can clear junk files, declutter Mac, organize data and boost performance is needed. With over 3+ million downloads and several positive reviews, TuneUpMyMac is the right tool for this task. Using this efficient and robust Mac Cleaner, you can quickly recover gigabytes of storage space occupied by unwanted data.
Here’s how TuneUpMyMac works:
1. Download and install TuneUpMyMac
2. Click Start System Scan from the home page
3. Wait for the scan to finish. You will now be able to see detected errors on your system.
4. Click the name of each area to see details about the detected errors
5. When satisfied with the result, click Clean Now.
6. However, if you want to scan and clean each section individually, you can select the modules from the left pane.
7. Once you have the scan results, click Clean Now to fix all the detected errors. By clicking Duplicate Finder, you can scan Mac for all types of duplicates and click them in a single click.
Yay! All the detected errors are removed, and now your Mac will perform better. This means you will see a speed and performance boost.
With just a click or two, you can declutter your Mac and boost system performance. After running the Apple Hardware Test, you know there’s nothing wrong with the hardware. So, to fix software related issues, try using TuneUpMyMac and fix heating, space, and other issues that you often face on Mac.
We hope this article was helpful, and you were able to find answers to all your questions. Stay tuned for more such information.