Microsoft finally brings Alexa to Windows 10 PCs and Cortana to Echo speaker after making an announcement at its Build developer conference in January. Currently the preview is available only in the United States, but it looks this partnership has long way to go.
We live in a multifaceted world where having the assistants in a device makes sense and will prove beneficial. Nothing can be better than ability to access thee assistants like apps rather than individual operating system.
Presently, the integration is basic but soon both Cortana and Alexa will be enabled as a skill on each platform.
Here we bring for you step by step instruction manual, on how to use Microsoft’s Cortana on an Amazon Echo, and vice versa.
This may seem an awkward integration at first, but as you will use it, you will be addicted.
First thing first, to wake up each assistant you need to follow say different commands.
To launch Cortana on an Echo device you need to say: “Alexa, open Cortana”
To launch Alexa on Windows 10 PCs and Harman Kardon Invoke say: “Hey Cortana, open Alexa.”
At present music streaming and alarm features are not available but soon these features and other skills will be added.
So, let’s begin with how to use Microsoft’s Cortana on an Amazon Echo device.
Steps to use Cortana on an Amazon Echo device:
The easiest and simplest way to integrate Cortana and Alexa is by using Alexa app.
1. Open Alexa app on any of your mobile device (Android, iOS).
2. Login to your Amazon account. If you don’t have create one.
3. Next tap Menu icon present at the top left corner and enable Cortana Alexa skill. For this select “Skills” from Menu dropdown.
4. Now search and select “Cortana.” For this can use the Search bar present at the top.
5. Next, sign into your Microsoft account when prompted. If you do not have one, you will have to create one. This will help you link both the voice assistants.
6. Now, say “Alexa, open Cortana.” This will connect you to Cortana. Once connected, Cortana will greet you and you’ll see Cortana’s icon if using Echo Spot or Echo Show.
You can now give commands to Cortana like “What emails do I have?” or “What’s on my calendar today?” No need to say, “Cortana” or “Alexa” before giving commands.
But, to stop the service, you will need to say “Alexa, stop.”
Now, that you have added Cortana to Alexa it’s time to add Alexa to Cortana.
How to add Alexa to Cortana?
You can add Alexa via Cortana, but remember this can’t be done on your smartphone, or even on the Xbox One. To Use Alexa on Cortana device, you need to follow the steps below:
1. Go to your Windows 10 Pc and open Cortana.
2. Now say “Hey Cortana, open Alexa.” To do so, you’ll need to click on the microphone icon. If you don’t have it, this means you don’t need one as, Cortana is always listening to you.
3. You need to login to your Amazon account, if already created. If not, you need to create one.
4. Next, grant permission to Cortana. Once Alexa will be enabled you will be greeted. Alexa can now perform basic functions on Windows 10 like reporting about the Weather, traffic etc. But it will not be able support advanced features like playing music and others.
Using these steps, you will be able to link both the assistants. But remember to use both Alexa and Cortana you’ll need to perform linking on both device. Just connecting linking Cortana to Alexa won’t connect them automatically everywhere.
Also, if you’ll try to ask Cortana to connect to Alexa on the Xbox One, it’ll tell you the feature isn’t added yet.
Soon, more features will be added, and you will be able to enjoy both the assistants fully.
Hope you enjoyed reading the article, if there is anything else you would like us to write for you, please let us know. Your feedback is valuable to us.
Please leave your comments in the box below.