We all know how important LinkedIn is in today’s professional buildup. People use the portal to get information about your employment background. Before hiring or just to get general knowledge about a person’s education or job.
One easiest method is to check a person’s profile without logging in the website. You can just search the person’s name on Google alone with LinkedIn. So, it gives you apt links to the profile, and the other person hence doesn’t get to know about it. But this is limited access to the LinkedIn profile as we won’t be able to scroll through complete information.
So, to look for somebody and not let them get a notification about it, you can keep reading on. Like other social platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram has a policy of not showing the people who viewed your profile. However, LinkedIn sends a mail and/or alert for notifying who viewed your profile in terms of connecting you. Although this is a way to make communication easier, this has been a cause of worry for some of us.
What we can do if simply want to view someone’s profile anonymously. The method we choose is actually provided by LinkedIn itself. All we have to do is make some changes manually on our profile and we are good to go.
Let’s read about what are these steps and how can we implement them:
For Web Browser
Go to the website “LinkedIn” and log in.
- Go to the website “LinkedIn” and log in.
- Now head to your Profile icon and click on it.
- Select “Settings and Privacy” in Account tab.
- Click the “How others see your LinkedIn activity” which is the second option in the Privacy category.
- The first option is “Profile Viewing Option”, by going on it.
- Choose from the following options-
- Your name and headline – This is the default choice for your LinkedIn profile. In which whenever you view a profile, the people will be informed in their notifications with your name and can visit you back on your profile.
- Private Profile Characteristics – So you are given a general term such as a representative of the industry you are working with. So now the other person is informed with the limited knowledge that a person from XYZ industry viewed your profile without giving them your name…
- Private Mode – Anonymous LinkedIn member – To always search the website without anyone knowing. This is how no one gets to know that you are the one who visited their LinkedIn profile.
For Mobile App
- Launch the LinkedIn app and log in.
- Now Tap on your profile icon at the top left corner.
- Select view profile, this takes you to your Profile page.
- Go to Privacy option on the top bar and click on it.
- Similar to the web browser, you now go to the “Profile Viewing Option”.
- This opens the same three options for you to select.
- Choose accordingly to go anonymous on people’s profile view lists.
So, our goal is achieved by selecting the Private mode and now we can view others’ profile on LinkedIn without them finding out. Now when you go to their profile, they will be indicated that someone viewed their profile. But when they check the notification it will not give your name instead it says Anonymous profile viewed your profile.
Since we choose not to let people know about our visit, it also restricts us to see any visits to our profile. This is one drawback which can be now corrected by getting the Premium version of LinkedIn. By upgrading to the paid premium service provided by LinkedIn, you are allowed to view the list of visitors to your profile for 90 days. This service is free to use for the first month and we suggest you try it now.
LinkedIn has over 500 million users right now all over the world. Thus, the need to make it user-friendly has always been the number one task to them. They have made several changes since 2002 when they started as per the users followed. This particular feature is helpful to many when they do not wish others to know when they are visiting. The employees, colleagues or the students whoever you want to search on LinkedIn without worrying they would know.