Several iPhone 6 & early iOS device users have reported that their device’s home button is not working properly. Even if you’re dealing with an unresponsive or broken iPhone home button, then this is the post you should be reading. The home button is solely responsible for accessing your iPhone’s most important functions, so when it gets laggy or stops responding entirely, using the phone becomes exceedingly annoying.
The iOS device’s home button, not working problem can occur due to multiple things. For example, there could be physical damage, a software glitch or any other miscellaneous lag that might have sneaked in. But there are multiple measures you can take to solve the iPhone Home Button Not Working problem. So, let’s start with the first one!
Tips To Fix iPhone Button Not Working Problem
Before you troubleshoot, make sure to remove the protective case or film that might block the home screen. C’mon, you have to be sure they aren’t causing the issue.
Tip 1 – Clean The iPhone Home Button With Soft Cloth
There’s no denying that our devices accumulate a lot of dust and debris in places like ports or moving parts that get ignored from ordinary everyday use. So, get a soft, lint-free cloth and carefully clean your iPhone’s Home button. Don’t forget to blow the charging port as well to remove the tiny dust particles from inside.
If it solves your problem, wonderful! But if it doesn’t get the job done, you have to move to the next way!
Tip 2- Troubleshoot The Home Button Via Calibrating
This is surely one of the most reliable workarounds to fix iPhone Home Button not working issue. To calibrate your iOS device, follow the simple steps below:
- Launch any pre-installed or stock application on your iPhone
- Long press and hold the Power button until you see the pop-up ‘slide to power off’ message on your display
- Now, press and hold the Home button for about 5-10 seconds till you go back to the main screen & the application gets closed
Go ahead and try using your iOS Home Button if it’s working. If it responds well, then you’re a lucky fella. If it didn’t then maybe you have to go ahead with our next method!
Tip 3- Perform Force Restart
Performing a force restart oftentimes solves the iPhone Home Button Not Working Problem. It simply resolves the minor software & app glitches that might be hampering your experience with the Home button. Don’t worry, it won’t affect any save information or data or your internal memory.
To perform a force restart, refer to the following steps:
- Long press and hold the Sleep/Wake button at the top of the device until you get the pop-up slider to Power Off the device
- Drag the slider and switch off your iOS device
- After a few moments, again press & hold the Sleep/Wake button until you get the Apple logo to appear on the screen
Now check the Home Button and observe if it’s working properly again.
Tip 4- Restore Your iPhone
This is one of the drastic solutions & several of you might not even take it. But it has surely solved the iPhone Home Button Not Working issue for several users. So, you never know if this might work for you to solve the problem.
Before proceeding with this method, make sure that your iOS device is completely backed up. Restoring your device would delete all the information and setting. To restore your iPhone via iTunes, follow the steps below:
- Connect your device to your computer
- In the iTunes app on your mac > click the Device button, located at the top-left of the window
- Click Summary > Restore.
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
How To Use Your iPhone If Your Home Button Is Broken?
If your Home Button is not working because of hardware damage, then before getting into replacement hectic, you can go for using a virtual Home button to your iPhone using a built-in feature with AssistiveTouch. Apple has not put this feature to help users with broken buttons. The feature is actually dedicated to making the device accessible for people dealing with certain disabilities.
Enable AssistiveTouch using the steps below:
- Launch your iPhone settings > General > Accessibility
- Under the Interaction category, tap on AssistiveTouch feature
- Toggle on the switch next to AssistiveTouch to activate the virtual Home button
- A small rounded rectangle with a circle would appear in front of your screen
- Tap the AssistiveTouch icon to open the on-screen controls
- A list of different options would appear in front of you: Custom, Siri, Home, Control Center, Notification Center, Device
Tap on any one of them to perform actions!
Bonus Quick Tip To Fix iPhone Home Button Not Working Issue:
Customize Click Speed – iOS device gives users the ability to adjust and reduce the click sped of the Home Button to give it a fraction of a second to breathe. To give it a try: Go to Settings > Accessibility > Home Button > you’ll get three options: Default, Slow, and Slowest. Go for the second option and force restart your iPhone. Once your device starts, try using the Home Button to see if it’s back to respond.
Hopefully, these tips help you to fix the iPhone Home Button Not Working issue, but if unfortunately, nothing works. Perhaps it’s time you buy a new iPhone that fulfills your needs. Apparently, the old device you are using has rendered its full service!
So, instead of paying a hefty Home Button replacement, get a new iPhone!
Connect With Us
Systweak is committed to helping the readers to fix different issues with their Windows, Mac, iPhone, Android or other devices. So, if you’re dealing with any such thing or need any troubleshooting assistance, get connected with us on our Social Media Channels: Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube or Instagram. You can also write to us at email@example.com