Skype needs no introduction; it is one of the popular video conferencing apps that comes pre-installed in all Windows systems. People across the globe more than ever use it to stay connected and initiate video calls. However, while using Skype, Windows 10 users have reported an issue of Skype Keeps Crashing. This problem becomes severe when you are in the middle of an urgent call.
So, here we are with the fix for the Skype keeps crashing problem on Windows 10.
Why do you get Skype has stopped working?
There’s no known reason for this issue; sometimes users face this problem after updating their Windows. In 2015 some Skype users said the problem occurs when they send http://.” Also, if there’s a malware or a system compatibility issue, you can encounter Skype keeps crashing issue.
Problems like this appear every time. Therefore, we need to fix them so that they don’t create problems while you are between the video calls. Usually, Microsoft releases patches and updates to fix such issues, but if you still face a problem, you can use these fixes.
Major Skype Problems
- The app doesn’t launch
- Skype freezes or crashes
- Connectivity issues
- Audio/video issues
How to Fix Skype Keeps Crashing on Windows and Other Problems listed above
Usually, Windows users use Skype and to fix the problem, we recommend using the following techniques.
Method 1: Update Skype
You might think what’s new in it whenever there is an update; we install it. But trust me, most of the time, we skip it. Therefore, we need to update the app and resolve Skype’s crashing problem. Also, if you are facing this problem due to compatibility issues, updating Skype will help. To update the app, follow the steps below:
- Open Skype.
- Head to settings by clicking the three dots next to your profile pic.
- Choose Help & Feedback from the menu.
- Skype will now look for updates. If an update is available, you will get an Update button. Click it to update the app.
- This is an automatic process wait for the Skype installer.
- Once the installation is done, Skype will restart. Again, head to Help & Feedback to check if your Skype is up to date.
Method 2: Run Windows Troubleshooter
Windows 10 comes with a built-in troubleshooter. This helps fix common issues on your system and fix anything that can lead to Skype has stopped working.
To run the troubleshooter, follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + I will open Windows settings.
- Click Update & Security
- Look for the Troubleshoot option in the left pane.
- Now to get an expanded view scroll down and click Windows Store Apps.
- Click Run the troubleshooter.
- To complete the troubleshooting process, follow on-screen instructions.
Method 3: Install Media Pack Feature
To use apps like Skype, specific Windows 10 users, install Media Feature Pack. If you are facing a Skype crashing problem on Windows 10, then you need to install the Media Feature Pack.
To do so, follow the steps below:
- Head to Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 website.
- Scroll to find the Download information section.
- Now click Media Feature Pack for N versions of Windows 10.
- Scroll and click Downloads.
- Click the drop-down to get the version you want > Confirm. Download the latest version.
- Double-click downloaded file and follow on-screen instructions to install Media Feature Pack.
- Once installed, restart your PC.
Now try and use Skype. You should not encounter Skype crashing problems anymore.
If this doesn’t work, then you will need to reset Skype and for that, move ahead.
How to Reset Skype?
Resetting Skype means you will lose all the data. This means the application will be restored to default. This will help fix Skype crashing on Windows 10 if the issue has occurred due to corrupted Skype files.
But before you do that, make sure you backup important data. Most importantly, save the login details as you will need it to log in Skype.
To reset Skype, follow the steps below:
- Open Windows settings by pressing Windows +I.
- Click Apps > look for Skype > click it to get Advanced options.
- Scroll down and click Reset.
This should work; however, if this fails then, the last option is to uninstall and reinstall Skype. To do so, follow the steps below:
How to Uninstall and Reinstall Skype
This is the last resort we are left with. Keep in mind, once you uninstall Skype, all the app preferences chats will be gone.
To uninstall Skype, follow the steps below:
- Press Windows + I to head to Windows Settings.
- Click Apps > Skype > Advanced options > Uninstall
This will uninstall the app. To reinstall, click here Skype click here
That’s it using these simple steps; you can easily fix Skype Keeps Crashing on Windows 10. We hope you find them helpful and can fix all the significant errors related to Skype. Do share your feedback and let us know if these steps were helpful.