When you get a “Windows license will expire soon” message, it is understood that soon the license of your Windows will expire and that you will have to invest in a new license. Isn’t it? Often, that’s only the case. However, sometimes the scenario could be different. In this blog not only we will talk about such instances, but we will even have a look at some of the ways that can resolve the “Your Windows will expire soon” issue.
Reasons Why You Are Getting “Your Windows License Will Expire Soon” Error
- An error occurring after you try to upgrade to Windows 10 to Windows 8
- Maybe your license expiration date has expired, and it is rebooting every two hours
- You have bought a device with preinstalled Windows 10, and the key has been rejected
- You are running a temporary Windows version. In this case, you will have to get an official version of Windows 10
Ways To Fix “Windows License Will Expire Soon” Error
1. Change Group Editor Policy
If you are getting “Your Windows license will expire soon” error, one way to solve this is to change the group editor policy. The steps for the same are mentioned below –
- Press Windows + R Keys and type gpedit.msc and hit Enter
- When the Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the following path –
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
- Double click on No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations in the right pane
- Select the Enabled radio button and then click on Apply and then OK
2. Backup And Restore
If you have recently started encountering “Your Windows license will expire soon fix”. You can try and restore your system to a previous backup where your Windows 10 was activated. If your system restore is greyed out, you can check this fix. One great way to back and restore is to use backup software.
One of the best backup software available is Advanced System Optimizer which helps you backup essential system files. You can even restore any previous backups when necessary. Here’s how you can backup and restore files using Advanced System Optimizer –
- Install Advanced System Optimizer
- On the left-hand pane click on Backup & Recovery
- Click on System Files Backup and restore
4. You can take a backup by clicking on Take Backup Now button under Backup tab and restore files by clicking on Restore Backup under Restore tab.
3. Perform A Manual Reactivation To Fix The “Windows 10 License Will Expire Soon” Issue:
- Open Command Prompt with administrator rights. For this, type command prompt in the search box next to the start button and then from the right-hand pane choose Run as Administrator
- Type slmgr -rearm in the command prompt and hit the Enter
- Click OK when you get the Command completed successfully message
- Restart your computer
- Open Settings by pressing Windows+X keys and then selecting Settings
- Locate the Activation pane and click on the Change product key.
- Type in your unique product license key which should resolve the your “Windows will expire soon” issue
4. Reboot Or Restart Windows Explorer
Many users had reported that when they were always getting the “Windows 10 license will expire soon’, they gave a quick reboot to their Windows Explorer and their issue was resolved. Maybe these steps would work for you as well –
- Open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and select task manager. You could even open the Task Manager by pressing the Windows + X keys and then choose Task Manager from the pane
- Under the Processes tab, right-click on Windows Explorer and click on End task
- Click on the File menu located just above the Processes tab and click on Run new task
- In the dialog box that appears, type explorer.exe and click on OK
- Now, open Command prompt with administrator rights as mentioned above and type slmgr -rearm and press enter
- Restart your system
5. Disable Services
Disabling a few services can help you get over the “Your Windows license will expire soon” error message.
- Open the Run command by typing services.msc and press Enter
- Type services.msc which would open the services window
- Now, in the right-hand pane locate the Windows License Manager Service and double click on it. This will open its properties
- Under Properties set the Startup type to Disabled
- Next, click the Stop button and first, click Apply and then OK. This will stop the Windows License Manager
- Do the same to Windows Update i.e.set the Startup type to Disabled and stop the service
In The End
After having applied the following fixes, you should be able to resolve the “Windows 10 license will expire soon” message or error. If you have, do let us know in the comments section, which of the above fixes worked out for you. And, if you have a better workaround, we are all ears. For more content on troubleshooting for all major platforms, keep reading Systweak blogs. Follow us on social media – Facebook and YouTube.