To learn how to do it in detail, click here.
What is backgroundTaskHost.exe?
Developed by Microsoft Corporation, backgroundTaskHost.exe is an executable file and a Cortana – Windows virtual assistant software component. This file runs the Background Task Host utility, a process essential for the Windows OS.
However, in some cases, this executable file can damage the PC. Therefore, fixing it and determining if the file is legitimate or not is necessary.
Details about BackgroundTaskHost.exe
Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Corporation\Windows 10 Operating System\ subfolder
Expected Full Path:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Corporation\Windows 10 Operating System\backgroundTaskHost.exe
Before following any of the methods explained below, we suggest scanning your system for threats. This is advised because, most of the time, the virus hides behind backgroundTaskHost.exe due to which you face High CPU problems.
For this, you can run any antivirus tool or can check our post on the best antivirus for Windows. However, we recommend using Advanced System Optimizer because this is an all-in-one optimization tool. It not only helps clean the system but also checks the system for infections. For this, you can use the System Protector module and scan the system for errors.
If no threats are detected, you can then try following the steps below.
How to Fix BackgroundTaskHost.exe
The best way to avoid problems related to backgroundTaskHost.exe is to clean the hard disk using cleanmgr and run SFC \scannow command. In addition to this, you can also uninstall programs that are no longer needed.
To run Disk Cleanup Cleanmgr, follow the steps below:
1. In Windows, search bar type Disk Cleanup and press Enter
2. You will now see Disk Clean click it to launch.
3. You will now see the Disk Cleanup interface from where you can select the drive to scan. By default, the system drive is selected.
4. After selecting the drive, click OK. This will start scanning the disk to calculate the space that you can free up.
5. Select the files you wish to delete and click Ok
6. You can now delete Temporary Internet Files, Thumbnails, Downloaded Programs, etc. All that is unwanted.
7. To confirm the action, press Ok. This will permanently delete all the selected files.
How to run Sfc \scannow
Open elevated Command Prompt and type SFC \scannow. Let the command run once done; it will fix system file errors.
If all this sounds too much work, try using Advanced System Optimizer.
How to fix system errors via Advanced System Optimizer
To run Advanced System Optimizer and fix backgroundTaskHost.exe High CPU Usage, follow the steps below:
1. Download and install Advanced System Optimizer
2. Launch the product
3. Click Disk Cleaner & Optimizers > System Cleaner > Start Scan Now
4. Wait for the scan to finish.
5. Once done, fix the errors.
6. Afterward, click Disk Optimizer, followed by Disk Tools. This will help defrag the disk and fix probable disk issues causing backgroundTaskHost.exe High CPU Usage.
Once done, restart your PC. This should fix the backgroundTaskHost.exe issue on your PC. Isn’t it simple? Surely it is. So, without any delay, try using this fantastic product or follow the manual steps. This will help free up space and optimize the PC.