App developers are spreading their wings in all the possible directions. Initially their target audience were general consumers & their daily requirements. Now the shift has been moved towards developing utilities for enterprises & their business needs. Likewise, EMM (Enterprise Mobility Management) is one such innovative idea that would help organizations to handle over-the-air management of every endpoint – comprising desktops, mobile devices & IoT to ensure security at every level.
Let’s get to know more about this technology in detail!
The whole concept of EMM ‘Enterprise Mobility Management’ was evolved because of the ‘rise in Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) policies. Several radical companies adopted it to allow employees to bring their own personal devices to workplace, instead of using company-issued equipment. The trend has been driven in white-collar positions especially who uses their own devices for both work & personal use.
While asking employees to bring their own equipment for work, surely increases convenience and lowers the cost. However, at the same time it brings a bunch of concerns related to security & legal compliance.
What would happen when an employee leaves the company? Is your business information kept secure? With such devices that are effectively outside of the control of IT department, companies need to find a way to effectively manage their confidential information & eliminate the risk for security. That’s where EMM platforms come into play!
Mobile Device Management (MDM) was the initial rebuttal to face these challenges, that remotely manages the lifecycle of smartphones & their respective platforms. Later it was replaced by, Mobile Application Management (MAM), with the aim to manage apps & data on devices instead of hardware.
After seeing the emerging business needs, both technologies were delegated by Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) that consolidates both MDM & MAM requirements to offer better security in form of; secure access, data & app management, separation of personal & work data and also threat management.
Top 5 EMM Platforms
The market is packed with numerous EMM vendors. Some comes with ‘BYOD security functionalities’ offerings while some are limited to provide solutions for only ‘Mobile Application Management’ (MAM).
Microsoft’s Intune is one of the best EMM software and security suite available in the market right now. It helps organizations to manage all of the devices connected to their network while accessing corporate data, ultimately to improve IT security.
Microsoft Intune features include:
- Tools to protect both company-managed devices & employee-owned devices.
- Allows you to easily set & define policies to manage third-party devices as well.
- Allows you to control Macs, PCs, Linux/Unix based devices & servers, all in a centralized portal.
- Allows granular control of Office 365 & other apps which helps IT admins to restrict access to email or other business documents if an employee logs in from unrolled device.
VMware is one of the most reputed brand, known for its server virtualization technologies. It has also been active in EMM since last five years. Their EMM offerings are worldwide famous & it’s used by more than 16,000 companies across the world at present.
VMware AirWatch features include:
- UEM (Unified Endpoint Management) it’s a next stage after EMM where businesses are not only focused on managing mobile devices and apps but also endpoints like Printers, IoT devices & wearables.
- Productivity apps
- Identity management tools
MobileIron is one of the oldest providers of EMM platforms. It offers mobility management solutions mainly in three bundles: Platinum, Gold and Silver. Like other standard EMM vendors, it has an offering that runs in the cloud & provides mobile security without much hassles.
MobileIron features include:
- Mobile Application Management (MAM) tools, that give users the applications they need to complete their job roles from anywhere securely & conveniently.
- Data Loss Prevention Policies, to limit what information can be transferred.
- Mobile Device Management (MDM) access with PIN, Encryption & VPN configurations.
Sophos is certainly a new player in the market of EMM offerings. However, it’s a complete package of enterprise mobility solutions that brings security & management of employees and applications at one place.
Sophos features include:
- Mobile Device Management Capabilities.
- Offers App Controls Over Third-Party Applications.
- Mobile Security for Android devices, including web, spam & malware protection.
Citrix is a comprehensive mobility management solution designed specifically for enterprise end users by deploying apps securely to both personal (BYOD) & company-owned devices.
Citrix XenMobile features include:
- Unified Endpoint Management
- Mobile Device Management
- Mobile Application Management
- Mobile Content Management
- Secure Network Gateway
- Enterprise-Grade Mobility Productivity Apps
The EMM market is continuously evolving and developers are making rapid changes to their offerings to keep users secure & agile.
Need more information on additional EMM service providers? Click here to get a list of vendor profiles & other valuable information to help your organization take the right decision for enterprise mobility.